Things to know pre-SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Things to know pre-SA

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 pm

What amount of blue book knowledge is necessary? I'm simultaneously working on the journal write on and working in an SA, and for both I'm freaking out a little bit that I really don't know much about blue booking (did hardly anything other than case cite, short cite, cite to statutes/constitution in legal writing).

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What amount of blue book knowledge is necessary? I'm simultaneously working on the journal write on and working in an SA, and for both I'm freaking out a little bit that I really don't know much about blue booking (did hardly anything other than case cite, short cite, cite to statutes/constitution in legal writing).

I didn't cite a single thing during my entire 1L SA other than some cases in line with the text of a memo or court document.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri May 17, 2013 3:38 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Don't worry about westlaw/lexis billing. Whoever started the meme that firms will be mad as fuck about you overusing Westlaw/Lexis has GOT to be trolling.

Don't law firms have flat rates or super-reduced rates?

Most all firms have super reduced rates. Not all firms have flat rates. Flat rates are pretty damn expensive, so only the bigger firms have them.

The firm I worked at 1L had a 90% or so discount with Lexis but Westlaw was a lot more expensive. I still used Westlaw to find actual cases since the searches itself were free (maybe I have that reversed, but you get the idea) and I'd just plug in the search terms into Lexis.

It doesn't matter, though. They'll tell you all of this shit during orientation.

And for the thousandth time -- always feel free to email the librarians. They are usually awesome.

Return to “Legal Employment”