URGENT: Question about NY Biglaw exploding offer.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

URGENT: Question about NY Biglaw exploding offer.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi. 0L here.

I got into the SEO program and will be attending at T3 this year. Problem is -- I got into NY and really wanted DC.

My future goals are DOJ and clerking. Will I still be able to do that, or will my options be limited?

Also, not sure if I would like transactional law -- which is what most NY firms specialize in.

bk1

Re: URGENT: Question about NY Biglaw exploding offer.

Postby bk1 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 pm

You know how many people do 1L SAs? VERY FEW. You know many people do 0L SAs? A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT FEWER.

Take it and be happy that you even have the option. Doing a 0L SA is not going to limit your options in any way. It's absurd that you'd think that. Oh and NY firms do plenty of litigation.

wisdom

Postby wisdom » Thu May 02, 2013 4:29 pm

To clarify, by T3 do you mean top-three school, as in Harvard/Yale/Stanford, or do you mean a third-tier school?

I'm guessing based on the SEO offer that it must be the former.

In which case, chill out. As the above poster said, there's lots of litigation work in the NYC firms, and it will not hurt for clerking and/or government jobs down the road. More immediately, if you want to do DC, do public interest in DC after 1L year, especially an unpaid DOJ internship in 1L summer, and then interview with DC firms for FIP/OCI/whatever it's called.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 4:30 pm

How will your 0L internship prevent you from what you want to do?

Hint: It won't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How will your 0L internship prevent you from what you want to do?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 5:35 pm

bk1 wrote:You know how many people do 1L SAs? VERY FEW. You know many people do 0L SAs? A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT FEWER.

Take it and be happy that you even have the option. Doing a 0L SA is not going to limit your options in any way. It's absurd that you'd think that. Oh and NY firms do plenty of litigation.

Take it and try to get a few meetings with the people who do investigations and white collar.

You get paid pretty well and the exposure will look great. Unless you plan on solving the energy crisis or curing cancer this summer I don't think you're likely to do much better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:You know how many people do 1L SAs? VERY FEW. You know many people do 0L SAs? A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT FEWER.

Take it and try to get a few meetings with the people who do investigations and white collar.

You get paid pretty well and the exposure will look great. Unless you plan on solving the energy crisis or curing cancer this summer I don't think you're likely to do much better.

Thank you. I accepted. :-)

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm

For a "T3" student you're pretty fucking stupid.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For a "T3" student you're pretty fucking stupid.

Brave anon use.
And congrats, OP.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm

My bad, that was me.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri May 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How will your 0L internship prevent you from what you want to do?

+1

What a dumb question and a dumb thread

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:46 pm

On the one hand, the responses were kind of harsh.

On the other, this was kind of a ridiculous question. Did you even have any reason to think that this would prevent you from doing what you want to do?

Why would it?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri May 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Is there anything to be said for people humble enough to recognize they don't know something? I mean, the guy is a 0L. There's plenty of people who finish 1L not knowing what they're doing when it comes to firms. It seems like a no brainer for most on here because of all the standard advice that gets floated around. But when you're new to the game, you don't always know the basic rules.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:But when you're new to the game, you don't always know the basic rules.

Shockingly enough reading and the search function can help cure this knowledge deficiency.

Return to “Legal Employment”