Swapping Offices After SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Swapping Offices After SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or input about the process of switching offices within the same firm after your SA. I'm at a v50 in a major market, looking to make the switch to another specific major market office because of a change in circumstances over the last year since OCI. I'm assuming the proper time to ask about this after I have an offer in hand. Are firms generally receptive of this? I should mention that it's a large firm--250-300 per office, 20-30 in each summer class. I realize the answer will probably vary between firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Swapping Offices After SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 pm

+1. In the same boat due to a change in family circumstances, and would really prefer to not have to 3LOCI/mass mail it this fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I did this last year. I summered in Office 1 and then I swapped to Office 2 for the full-time gig. I waited until I had my offer in hand from the firm, Office 1 and then I asked if I could switch offices for family reasons. The firm had me visit Office 2 and interview with the people there (similar to a callback interview). It all went very smoothly and I received from Office 2 in a week or two. I generally felt that when I was interviewing at Office 2 that it was largely a matter of formality rather than a real interview. I didn't know that beforehand though so I prepped like it was a real interview.

It's hard to avoid the 3L OCI/Mass Mail because of the timeline of everything. It took my firm a couple weeks to get back to me. Because I was unsure of everything and lacking any precedent, I went ahead and was already applying for other positions once I had the offer in hand (just in case that things didn't work out with Office 2). I definitely recommend doing 3L OCI/Mass Mail just in case because who knows how they'll actually respond.

Before I did all this, I asked my career services office about making the switch and they told me the following:
(1) it's easier if you're going from a SMALL office to a LARGE office (as they're better able to absorb more people)
(2) it's good if you're involved/interested in a practice in demand for the firm
(3) policies will vary a lot depending on the firm (my career services office thought that my firm had a reputation for trying to be accommodating ...)

All in all, it's probably doable but you'll get a better feel for things after working in the offices for a summer. One of the things I regret is that I should have considered doing a split instead of concentrating at one office. That way, I could have gotten to know some of the people in Office 2.

Hope that helps!

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Anon above who switched offices: what would have happened if your "interview" at Office 2 didn't go well? Would Office 1 just take you back and you'd be working there? Or would you be shunned from the firm (and that is why you were doing 3L OCI/mass mail)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Very curious about this. I'd be surprised to see my firm take a strong stance against it, but I'd never have the guts to try it. Good luck, and please report back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Anon above who switched offices: what would have happened if your "interview" at Office 2 didn't go well? Would Office 1 just take you back and you'd be working there? Or would you be shunned from the firm (and that is why you were doing 3L OCI/mass mail)?

Previous anon here. I have no idea what would have happened if my "interview" at Office 2 didn't go well. I think I could have gone back to Office 1, but it would have been awkward if I ever had to work with people in Office 2 (especially someone I interviewed with ...). Going into the "interview" with Office 2, I thought about it from the firm perspective and I didn't see how they could reject me on competence grounds, given that I had already worked in Office 1. I figured that the most that could happen is that they'd tell me that there is no room in Office 2. In other words, they couldn't accommodate another entry-level attorney.

Re: 3L-OCI/Mass Mail, I did that simply because there seemed to be so many unknowns in the process. I had no idea how things would work out and I thought I should be proactive about my situation rather than just sitting and waiting for my firm to get back to me. I even tossed applications to McKinsey/BCG/etc. I was fully aware that 3L-OCI/Mass Mail is a difficult situation and I didn't want to be left without a job.

For 3L-OCI/Mass Mail, the handful of firms to which I applied were pretty receptive. I did only 4-5 screeners, but I got 2-3 callbacks (only 1 of which I actually went on). It definitely helped to have a job offer in hand as well as a plausible explanation for why I was applying again. That being said, the timeline is MUCH SLOWER than 2L-OCI. Many of these firms are trying to fill gaps and so they won't tell you anything until after November 1 (the NALP deadline). I found about Office 2 in late September/early October sometime (after getting my Office 1 offer in August), so I didn't bother to wait around to see how 3L-OCI would have turned out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did this last year. I summered in Office 1 and then I swapped to Office 2 for the full-time gig. I waited until I had my offer in hand from the firm, Office 1 and then I asked if I could switch offices for family reasons. The firm had me visit Office 2 and interview with the people there (similar to a callback interview). It all went very smoothly and I received from Office 2 in a week or two. I generally felt that when I was interviewing at Office 2 that it was largely a matter of formality rather than a real interview. I didn't know that beforehand though so I prepped like it was a real interview.

It's hard to avoid the 3L OCI/Mass Mail because of the timeline of everything. It took my firm a couple weeks to get back to me. Because I was unsure of everything and lacking any precedent, I went ahead and was already applying for other positions once I had the offer in hand (just in case that things didn't work out with Office 2). I definitely recommend doing 3L OCI/Mass Mail just in case because who knows how they'll actually respond.

Before I did all this, I asked my career services office about making the switch and they told me the following:
(1) it's easier if you're going from a SMALL office to a LARGE office (as they're better able to absorb more people)
(2) it's good if you're involved/interested in a practice in demand for the firm
(3) policies will vary a lot depending on the firm (my career services office thought that my firm had a reputation for trying to be accommodating ...)

All in all, it's probably doable but you'll get a better feel for things after working in the offices for a summer. One of the things I regret is that I should have considered doing a split instead of concentrating at one office. That way, I could have gotten to know some of the people in Office 2.

Hope that helps!

I did this too. Went from smaller office SA and starting in larger market / office.

+1 to everything said. Except I don't think all that many firms are really that accommodating unless you have a really truly compelling reason.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am

Not that I have a massive sample size (4-5 people), but everyone I know who requested an office transfer either after their 3L or once they'd started got it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 am

I know someone who due to visa reasons couldn't do a paid summer in the US so they did their summer a a foreign office knowing that a full time offer would be in NYC... Not quite the same situation I guess.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 am

What reasons are the people getting transfers giving for wanting to transfer?

Return to “Legal Employment”