Reneging on a 1L Summer internship acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on a 1L Summer internship acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 01, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Re: Reneging on a 1L Summer internship acceptance

Postby cinephile » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:50 pm

I would renege. You have to do what's best for you. And employers revoke offers too, so it's fair play.

Also, screw OCS. Whether they hear about it or not, you owe them absolutely nothing.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:58 pm

cinephile wrote:I would renege. You have to do what's best for you. And employers revoke offers too, so it's fair play.

Also, screw OCS. Whether they hear about it or not, you owe them absolutely nothing.

+1. What is OCS gonna do, not let you apply to internships through them anymore? Then just do it independently. Let's say the tides were turned and the part-time internship employer dropped you. What would OCS do then? Nothing.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Just explain what you said here, that it is full time and closer to home so you can save money. They will most likely understand, especially if it is an unpaid internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks a lot for the responses, been agonizing about this all day and this puts me at ease.

SHIA

Postby SHIA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 pm

I had to renege on an internship, as long as you give the 1st employer a good reason (a reason that won't make them want to call OCS then you're fine). I was able to renege in that way.

Also, OCS can't do anything but I wonder how it will affect OCI (if your school offers that).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 am

I'm in a similar situation. How would you go about doing it? Phone call v. email, etc.? A call seems like the better choice, but I'm just nervous and am unsure of how to go about having this type of convo.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am

The whole "don't do something because it may affect the way employers look at your school" thing is such non-sense, and it shocks me it's repeated at every CSO, apparently.

Any employer that assumes all students at a given school have a certain characteristic, say, for flakiness, is just absurd. Attributing one person's reneging on a job offer (a 1L internship, at that) to an entire school makes 0 sense.

Don't listen to your CSO or worry about how it could potentially affect your school. You need to do whatever is best for you in this legal market.

Return to “Legal Employment”