Exam answers as writing sample?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nova

Exam answers as writing sample?

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Im currently a 1L. My brief and open memo suck. I guess Ill keep submiting them because thats what everyone is generally doing...

... but what about also using exam answers as writing samples?

Feel free to tell me this is a dumb idea if it is.

Re: Exam answers as writing sample?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Nova wrote:Im currently a 1L. My brief and open memo suck. I guess Ill keep submiting them because thats what everyone is generally doing...

... but what about also using exam answers as writing samples?

Feel free to tell me this is a dumb idea if it is.

Just do writing you did under a timecrunch bro

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Give it to employers and be like "if this is what I can do in 4 hours, imagine my potential"

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:Give it to employers and be like "if this is what I can do in 4 hours, imagine my potential"

Except they'll be like, just send me what you can do in more than four hours, if you actually want the job

grrm09

Postby grrm09 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Are your brief and memo really that bad? Like did you bomb lrw or something? If not, just try to fix it up a bit. Maybe even see if your old prof is willing to point out some of the glaringly obvious problems. It HAS to be better than whatever you vomited out during the 3 terror filled exam hours.

On a related note, does anyone know how much firms actually care about these things? I just can't imagine some recruiter reading through stacks of brief/memo excerpts, or having much of an idea of which are the better ones for that matter. There's sure as hell no way an attorney is going to waste time doing that...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:25 pm

For this summer?
You'll get something a lot better for OCI during your summer job.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 pm

DF & Rad, cant tell if yall are serious.

JamMasterJ wrote:You'll get something a lot better for OCI during your summer job.

Ahh good point.

grrm09 wrote:Are your brief and memo really that bad? Like did you bomb lrw or something? If not, just try to fix it up a bit. Maybe even see if your old prof is willing to point out some of the glaringly obvious problems. It HAS to be better than whatever you vomited out during the 3 terror filled exam hours.

Yeah i mean, I thought it was fine, but I got the lowest grade possible to still pass (P/F). I did, compartively, much better on exams.

Ill try to fix the brief and memo up a bit after exams are over....

Hopfully employers dont really care or read them too closely.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm not srs

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 pm

1L here but I wouldn't use your exams. Follow the above advice and edit your brief or memo. My exams were fine for their purpose but they were still riddled with typos. Also, sometimes I would only get a couple of points on a page just because a lot of my arguments were either incorrect or irrelevant. Finally, the exams aren't like the type of work you'll be doing at a law firm.

Larger point, I can't imagine anyone ever reads any of the writing samples, and if they do, they glance through them at most. Just pull yours up to the level where they won't hurt you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 pm

You don't generally need a writing sample for OCI, though there are exceptions. Even though you got a better grade, it doesn't mean the writing is better. I can assure you the writing in your memo is better. As others have said, just polish it up.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Alright, thanks everyone.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Take your school's writing competition, use that as a writing sample.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm

ph14 wrote:Take your school's writing competition, use that as a writing sample.

I'm not sure all law schools allow this.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
ph14 wrote:Take your school's writing competition, use that as a writing sample.

I'm not sure all law schools allow this.

Really? Why wouldn't they? It's your written work. Obviously don't break any of your school's rules, although that goes without saying.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:44 pm

ph14 wrote:Really? Why wouldn't they? It's your written work. Obviously don't break any of your school's rules, although that goes without saying.

I dunno. Paranoid about info getting out? I'm not sure that any disallow it but I wouldn't be surprised if some do based on some of the rules that I've seen.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 am

At my school, the write-on topic was often recycled/updated each year (rather than coming up with something entirely new - it was an 800-pp. packet), so I'm pretty sure it was an honor code violation to share answers. Plus, it was closed-universe (if 800 pp) and constrained enough that the result was often fairly artificial. Lastly, it was a mini LR note, and I think for most employers something practice-oriented (memo, brief) makes for a better sample.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 am

*gets exam as writing sample*

"holy shit, how bad must his LRW memo/brief have been for him to submit this?!"

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am

You can edit your memo(s) if they're that bad. Don't submit an exam answer. I've never heard of that and it would be extremely odd. Plus, you usually don't need writing samples for OCI.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:49 am

ajax adonis wrote:You can edit your memo(s) if they're that bad. Don't submit an exam answer. I've never heard of that and it would be extremely odd. Plus, you usually don't need writing samples for OCI.

You definitely have to have one available. Maybe 5 out 60 firms I interviewed with wanted one.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:You can edit your memo(s) if they're that bad. Don't submit an exam answer. I've never heard of that and it would be extremely odd. Plus, you usually don't need writing samples for OCI.

You definitely have to have one available. Maybe 5 out 60 firms I interviewed with wanted one.

Yeah, I did overstate. I meant to say that most firms won't ask for one, so don't stress too much about it. Have one that's typo-free and reasonably written and you should be okay.

Return to “Legal Employment”