1l Rejection letter... Mean more?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1l Rejection letter... Mean more?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm

I received a ding letter from a firm today( which I really wanted to work for I've seen 20 ding letters so I know the standard language but this letter ended with for me to let the recruiting manger know if I would be in town this summer to get together to talk about summer program for 2l year. They also used my school name in the letter.. Does this necessarily mean anything more than just the standard have nice day

Re: 1l Rejection letter... Mean more?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a ding letter from a firm today( which I really wanted to work for I've seen 20 ding letters so I know the standard language but this letter ended with for me to let the recruiting manger know if I would be in town this summer to get together to talk about summer program for 2l year. They also used my school name in the letter.. Does this necessarily mean anything more than just the standard have nice day

I'd follow up, but don't get your hopes up too much.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a ding letter from a firm today( which I really wanted to work for I've seen 20 ding letters so I know the standard language but this letter ended with for me to let the recruiting manger know if I would be in town this summer to get together to talk about summer program for 2l year. They also used my school name in the letter.. Does this necessarily mean anything more than just the standard have nice day

yeah, not really, but it'd be a good look to stop by if you could.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 pm

sounds like they're trying to feel you out for your interest in the market and avoid paying for your callback.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:57 pm

IAFG wrote:sounds like they're trying to feel you out for your interest in the market and avoid paying for your callback.

Agent

Postby Agent » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:08 am

Sounds like a mail-merge form letter. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Assuming this firm is in Dallas, I believe I just got the same letter so I wouldn't read anything into it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming this firm is in Dallas, I believe I just got the same letter so I wouldn't read anything into it.

You should absolutely "read in" a sincere invitation to stay in touch. JFC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I also got a rejection letter similar to OP from Cleary except it included more personal details, hoping I bid on them during OCI, & wants me to contact them over the summer for a tour of the office & to meet associates. Should I read more into this & reach out to them since I'll will be working in the same city this summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming this firm is in Dallas, I believe I just got the same letter so I wouldn't read anything into it.

You should absolutely "read in" a sincere invitation to stay in touch. JFC.

To clarify, OP should absolutely take them up on their offer if s/he is in town over the summer. It's a great way to show interest and make yourself stand out.
That being said, it's not a sincere invitation. Or, it's only a sincere invitation in the sense that every law firm wants every law student to stay in touch with them and bid them during OCI because then they have a larger pool of students to pick from and will know more about them prior to OCI. This is just a new twist on the form rejection letter. Firms utilize this strategy then in other ways as well. Haynes and Boone in Dallas would take any 1L out to lunch over winter break who was in town and had applied for the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Is the situation any different where you were given a callback for a 1L Diversity SA, dinged, and told to go straight-to-CB at OCI? Firm generally has a smallish class size, so I'm a bit lost as to how much will really change in the few months between CBs that would keep this from being another ding.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:42 am

Means nothing.

Return to “Legal Employment”