Jag Corps: where is the best place to interview with the FSO Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GlobalLaw356

New

Jag Corps: where is the best place to interview with the FSO

Post by GlobalLaw356 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:56 am

I am looking into joining the JAG Corps of the Army or possibly other branches. As part of the application, I have to interview with a Field Screening Officer. I can interview in New York, but sense that the large number of top law schools around here will produce a tough competition environment. Would it be worth making contact with a Field Screening Officer in the Midwest somewhere to interview out there? Would it improve my chances of being selected or do all of the applications ultimately make it into the hands of a selection committee in DC or somewhere else, thus rendering the place of the interview irrelevant?

Thank you

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlobalLaw356

New

Re: Jag Corps: where is the best place to interview with the FSO

Post by GlobalLaw356 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:51 am

I have family connections with Indiana, which is not far away from Military Entrance Processing Command.

I also have connections in the South (Texas though my wife and Florida through my parents).

Which do you think would give an applicant the best shot?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:54 am

I interviewed at a remote post for the AF. Was the only interviewee the JAG had seen in years. They treated me like royalty and the whole process lasted hours. And then rejection. :cry:

Edit: I wouldn't worry about the quality of NY schools though. JAG doesn't care much about that. But I can see the pure number of applicants having an effect on how the interviewer thinks about you.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlobalLaw356

New

Post by GlobalLaw356 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm

I called the JAG office and they told me that location of interview does not matter because the interview is just a factor and ALL applicants, regardless of location, are reviewed by one national board.
It's not like a two-tier process where you have to get through the initial interview to get to the national board.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm

That's definitively true. The logic is that the JAG you interview with at the FSO may have a more glowing review of you if he doesn't have to compare you to 30 other candidates. It's still a national selection process. You submit your materials to the JAG at your local office, who then writes up a recommendation, places it with your materials, and sends the whole package along to the selection board.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”