Taking time off from summer firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: Taking time off from summer firm

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but raises a related question for me: how do you know when to leave every day? Please hold the knee-jerk "law student question" response. I am obviously aware that it varies based on assignments and feeling out the particular firm culture. I'm just thinking in terms of whether it looks bad if you leave before a certain set time (6, 7) if you have no work or no work that urgently needs to get done. Because people on TLS also tell stories about it looking bad if you're there too late as a summer. Re: NY V100.

I usually worked like 8:30-5:30 or so as a summer, which was pretty much what everyone else in my summer class was doing (except for one girl who worked 7-4). I left at 4-4:30 pretty frequently to go to happy hours with associates and stuff on Fridays. However, I was in a small market and the firm I was at is pretty casual/laid back. I think I stayed past 6:00 maybe a half a dozen times, and only once until after 9:00. I remember going to dinner after work on a number of occasions and looking up at our building at 7:30-8:00 and thinking "Damn, every light in the office is off." My point being, I would have looked like quite the goober working til 8:00 every night. On the other hand, if you're at an NYC Vault firm, bailing at 5:30-6:00 regularly might be a big no-no.

So, there's no real easy answer here. It's like a lot of things in the workplace: try to mimic the people around you. That's a really important professional skill, especially in the legal world. I'd recommend eyeing the young associates for the first week or so, and leave when they do or a little before. Like I said, I'm not an NYC guy, but I really can't imagine just sitting at my desk as a summer after 6 or 7 if I really had no work to do.

And honestly, as long as you aren't noticeably gunning or noticeably slacking on your hours, no one is really going to notice or care.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I'm surprised at all of the immediate '"no" responses here. People took off for various reasons at my firm last summer. I remember one person in particular took off to go on vacation abroad. Granted this person was a partner's child, but my firm seemed pretty understanding about such things in general. Though I never asked for time off, I felt like in general one day won't kill you. OP, I would not tell them that it is a bachelor party; I would just mention the wedding.

Anyway, this will be my second summer with the same firm I worked with after my 1L year. I was going to ask to take a Friday afternoon off so that I could attend my siblings high-school graduation. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about me doing that? I'd probably end up leaving at noon instead of 5 or 6 that day.

You already know the firm so you already know it's fine.

Listen, I seriously doubt people get no-offered just because they asked for a day off. But other things can go wrong over the course of a summer. You can miss your train and miss the depo you were supposed to sit in on. You can flub an assignment for a tough partner. Add "and he also took a day off for a bachelor party or something" and it could end up being a big mistake.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 pm

IAFG wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I'm surprised at all of the immediate '"no" responses here. People took off for various reasons at my firm last summer. I remember one person in particular took off to go on vacation abroad. Granted this person was a partner's child, but my firm seemed pretty understanding about such things in general. Though I never asked for time off, I felt like in general one day won't kill you. OP, I would not tell them that it is a bachelor party; I would just mention the wedding.

Anyway, this will be my second summer with the same firm I worked with after my 1L year. I was going to ask to take a Friday afternoon off so that I could attend my siblings high-school graduation. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about me doing that? I'd probably end up leaving at noon instead of 5 or 6 that day.

You already know the firm so you already know it's fine.

Listen, I seriously doubt people get no-offered just because they asked for a day off. But other things can go wrong over the course of a summer. You can miss your train and miss the depo you were supposed to sit in on. You can flub an assignment for a tough partner. Add "and he also took a day off for a bachelor party or something" and it could end up being a big mistake.

OP here. I totally get what you're saying. And that was part of my concern. I just don't want to miss out on a big event related to my brother's wedding, especially if I can somehow make the time up by coming in early and staying late the rest of that week. That said, I won't know if I should go through with asking for some time off (full or partial day) until I go in there and assess the situation over the course of my first week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:34 pm

My Vault NYC firm didn't give a shit. We had people who took days off to fly to weddings or just because they were sick. We probably had one of the most laid back firms there is, but still, it seems like partners/recruiting will understand when you're a summer. It's not like you're exactly lighting the world on fire with what the firm will have you doing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 am

Actually, I just realized that this might come up for me... My grandmother raised me until I was 6 and she is really not doing well right now, might be terminal. However she is in Asia so any leave or bereavement will take at least most of a week due to travel... What would you guys recommend...

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Actually, I just realized that this might come up for me... My grandmother raised me until I was 6 and she is really not doing well right now, might be terminal. However she is in Asia so any leave or bereavement will take at least most of a week due to travel... What would you guys recommend...

I would recommend dealing with that when it happens. You could maybe mention your grandmother is sick when you start, but I think any firm/job will be willing to work with you in a situation like that if it happens.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am the best man in a wedding coming up this summer (after my 2L SA will be over), and the bachelor party falls about 2/3 of the way into my SA. When should I tell my firm that I would like to take a Friday off during the summer for this bachelor party? I figure the sooner the better, but was wondering if I should notify them now (before starting) or wait until I start my summer?

I was a SA last summer and took off the Friday of my first week of work for my 5-year college reunion. I emailed the HR rep prior to the summer starting. She said no problem and that I should just be sure to inform the person supervising my first project so I could deconflict any deadlines. She also said they would avoid giving me a project with a quick turn around. That was it. No one cared or gave me a hard time. I acted like an adult and they treated me like one. It was never mentioned again. Maybe a bachelor party is slightly different. Maybe don't call it a bachelor party?

5 year college reunion? that's a thing? wtf

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm

dr123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am the best man in a wedding coming up this summer (after my 2L SA will be over), and the bachelor party falls about 2/3 of the way into my SA. When should I tell my firm that I would like to take a Friday off during the summer for this bachelor party? I figure the sooner the better, but was wondering if I should notify them now (before starting) or wait until I start my summer?

I was a SA last summer and took off the Friday of my first week of work for my 5-year college reunion. I emailed the HR rep prior to the summer starting. She said no problem and that I should just be sure to inform the person supervising my first project so I could deconflict any deadlines. She also said they would avoid giving me a project with a quick turn around. That was it. No one cared or gave me a hard time. I acted like an adult and they treated me like one. It was never mentioned again. Maybe a bachelor party is slightly different. Maybe don't call it a bachelor party?

5 year college reunion? that's a thing? wtf

One of the best parties I ever went to was my 5 year. Ten year was great, too. Kegs on the dorm lawns, nice dinner, good times.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm

The number of people willing to sacrifice their live for their work ITT is astounding.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 pm

lukertin wrote:The number of people willing to sacrifice their live for their work ITT is astounding.

I don't think people here are sacrificing life for work, what they are doing is explaining that when you are entering into a summer job that has the potential to lead to a full time offer you don't want to risk not getting the offer. If OP were going into 1st year associate it would be different, but as a summer you want to avoid anything that can get you the dreaded no offer. Plus OP started by saying it was a bachelor party. I had to miss a day of a buddy's bachelor party while I was teaching because I could not get the Friday off.

The firm will most likely understand, and as I said earlier I already talked to my firm about a day off for a wedding that I am in, but I would argue that a wedding is slightly higher on the list of acceptable SA days off than bachelor party.

ETA: It's the same starting any new job. You don't want to start out by asking for a dat off unless you absolutely need to.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Icculus wrote:
lukertin wrote:The number of people willing to sacrifice their live for their work ITT is astounding.

I don't think people here are sacrificing life for work, what they are doing is explaining that when you are entering into a summer job that has the potential to lead to a full time offer you don't want to risk not getting the offer. If OP were going into 1st year associate it would be different, but as a summer you want to avoid anything that can get you the dreaded no offer. Plus OP started by saying it was a bachelor party. I had to miss a day of a buddy's bachelor party while I was teaching because I could not get the Friday off.

The firm will most likely understand, and as I said earlier I already talked to my firm about a day off for a wedding that I am in, but I would argue that a wedding is slightly higher on the list of acceptable SA days off than bachelor party.

No, they're sacrificing their life for their work.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:19 pm

lukertin wrote:
Icculus wrote:

What does this even mean bro

I mean I guess I sacrifice my life for work just by going to work.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Taking time off from a 2L SA for a bachelor party seems like an astronomically dumb idea. Maybe a wedding that you're the best man in, maybe. But definitely not a bachelor party.

Exhibit A of "sacrificing life for work"

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:25 pm

seatown12 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Taking time off from a 2L SA for a bachelor party seems like an astronomically dumb idea. Maybe a wedding that you're the best man in, maybe. But definitely not a bachelor party.

Oh, right, that totally makes your argument.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:26 pm

seatown12 wrote:

Exactly, the fact that it had to be accompanied by two maybe's, one at the beginning and one at the end is clear and convincing proof of sacrificing life for work.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 pm

seatown12 wrote:

Lean in, bro.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Actually, I just realized that this might come up for me... My grandmother raised me until I was 6 and she is really not doing well right now, might be terminal. However she is in Asia so any leave or bereavement will take at least most of a week due to travel... What would you guys recommend...

Grandma dying is a whole other story than bachelor party. Don't worry about that at all. No firm will no offer for that.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

An SA isn't work, it's an extended interview. Don't fuck around with it.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm

lukertin wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I can tell you're a real free-thinker.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

The handwringing from some ITT makes me very glad to be at a chill midwestern firm like Romo's.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:02 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:The handwringing from some ITT makes me very glad to be at a chill midwestern firm like Romo's.

Just remember

They won't hesitate to fuck you if business goes down or they accidentally over hired.

Or if they don't want someone who does what you want to do

They won't even bat an eye

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:The handwringing from some ITT makes me very glad to be at a chill midwestern firm like Romo's.

Just remember

They won't hesitate to fuck you if business goes down or they accidentally over hired.

Or if they don't want someone who does what you want to do

They won't even bat an eye

I assure you that my eyes are wide open. If I get hosed, dems da breaks.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:An SA isn't work, it's an extended interview. Don't fuck around with it.

Attorney 1: "so do we need to extend an offer to all of the SA's?"
Attorney 2: "organizationally, we could probably get away with offering all but one or two"
Attorney 1: " how do we choose? All the SA's did decent work..."
Attorney 2: "well, there was this one guy that took off for a bachelor party."
Attorney 1: "what a clown, he gets the axe... Who else?"

or

Attorney 1: "so do we need to extend an offer to all of the SA's?"
Attorney 2: "organizationally, we could probably get away with offering all but one or two"
Attorney 1: " how do we choose? All the SA's did decent work..."
Attorney 2: "Well, there was that one SA who is a total neurotic train wreck. He thinks we're all a bunch of up-tight assholes who are sitting with stopwatches to time how long each associate takes at lunch and when going to the bathroom."
Attorney 1: "Yeah, no one likes that kid. I asked him if he wanted to grab coffee one day and all he did was talk about work and ask completely uninteresting canned questions about my practice. He's such a drag to be around."
Attorney 2: "I know. I would rather shoot myself then have to spend a long weekend working with that guy."

Making up hypotheticals is fun.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Icculus wrote:

I don't think people here are sacrificing life for work, what they are doing is explaining that when you are entering into a summer job that has the potential to lead to a full time offer you don't want to risk not getting the offer. If OP were going into 1st year associate it would be different, but as a summer you want to avoid anything that can get you the dreaded no offer.

How is doing whatever it takes to avoid any potential "risk" not a sacrifice? Are you arguing that he's not giving up anything by skipping his brother's bachelor party? You're pretty much proving lukertin point if you are.

I think what you meant to say is that the sacrifice is reasonable, but you're still wrong.

What you're seeing ITT is typical TLS neuroticism run amok. People here have a compulsive need to try and find a "why" for everything that happens in life. It can never be as simple as "bad luck;" there has to be a reason why people get no offered. And so they congregate here and analyze everything to point of inanity hoping to find patterns in the chaos. Obviously there is some actual wisdom interspersed among the craziness, but there are people on this board who honestly think you're risking getting no offered if you wear a black suit to work. These people will advocate anything, regardless of how specious it is, so long as they think it's the risk adverse position.

Return to “Legal Employment”