Taking time off from summer firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking time off from summer firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 am

I am the best man in a wedding coming up this summer (after my 2L SA will be over), and the bachelor party falls about 2/3 of the way into my SA. When should I tell my firm that I would like to take a Friday off during the summer for this bachelor party? I figure the sooner the better, but was wondering if I should notify them now (before starting) or wait until I start my summer?

Re: Taking time off from summer firm

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am the best man in a wedding coming up this summer (after my 2L SA will be over), and the bachelor party falls about 2/3 of the way into my SA. When should I tell my firm that I would like to take a Friday off during the summer for this bachelor party? I figure the sooner the better, but was wondering if I should notify them now (before starting) or wait until I start my summer?

You don't take time off from an SA, and definitely not for a bachelor party.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am the best man in a wedding coming up this summer (after my 2L SA will be over), and the bachelor party falls about 2/3 of the way into my SA. When should I tell my firm that I would like to take a Friday off during the summer for this bachelor party? I figure the sooner the better, but was wondering if I should notify them now (before starting) or wait until I start my summer?

Taking time off from a 2L SA for a bachelor party seems like an astronomically dumb idea. Maybe a wedding that you're the best man in, maybe. But definitely not a bachelor party.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:51 am

You might get one day off for whatevs; I did. But some firms are apparently mean about it. No use telling them now; wait until orientation and see if you get any info about taking time off. And maybe don't mention it's a bachelor party.

ETA: I did take my day off and nobody cared. I got an offer etc. But mine was also for a very legitimate reason.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:52 am

You have worked extremely hard to get to where you are at. While a night of fun with who I presume is your best friend would be memorable, and potentially unnoticed by the firm. It may be noticed and all your work to get to this point would be for naught.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 am

You are the best man. Plan the party before you start your summer gig or after it is over. Otherwise, show up late Friday night or Saturday, if work permits.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 am

I see both sides of this --- I'm out of school a bunch of years now and take off work for all sorts of dumb shit reasons - but I've also earned the right to do so... Whether or not taking off for the bachelor party is acceptable to your firm is a very fact sensitive inquiry - and is probably not worth doing.

Some specifics might help. What is the bachelor party - a one night deal or a multi-day fest? What type of firm are you SAing at? Is it possible to work the day, jump on a nighttime flight and power through the weekend with your boys as an alternative to taking off?

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 am

I wouldn't even consider taking time off for a bachelor party during a SA.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 am

Just don't. Its not worth it. You worked too hard for this and there are too many people waiting to pounce when you mess up. I think even if my firm had a 100% offer rate I'd still not do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

u guys are overparanoid. my v15 gave us 2 days vacation during our SA. even if your firm doesn't give vacation, its not like the guy is going to say hey can i take off this friday to reenact the movie hangover? friday on a summer will most likely be slow. i say play it by ear, if ur SA is going slow with not much work, and you feel u can take off a fri without pissing people off, i say just go for it. give advanced notice and be professional, people will understand.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:u guys are overparanoid. my v15 gave us 2 days vacation during our SA. even if your firm doesn't give vacation, its not like the guy is going to say hey can i take off this friday to reenact the movie hangover? friday on a summer will most likely be slow. i say play it by ear, if ur SA is going slow with not much work, and you feel u can take off a fri without pissing people off, i say just go for it. give advanced notice and be professional, people will understand.

If you are going to do it I would leave out that it is for a bachelor party. I would say "family function" or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 am

I was a SA last summer and took off the Friday of my first week of work for my 5-year college reunion. I emailed the HR rep prior to the summer starting. She said no problem and that I should just be sure to inform the person supervising my first project so I could deconflict any deadlines. She also said they would avoid giving me a project with a quick turn around. That was it. No one cared or gave me a hard time. I acted like an adult and they treated me like one. It was never mentioned again. Maybe a bachelor party is slightly different. Maybe don't call it a bachelor party?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I was a SA last summer and took off the Friday of my first week of work for my 5-year college reunion. I emailed the HR rep prior to the summer starting. She said no problem and that I should just be sure to inform the person supervising my first project so I could deconflict any deadlines. She also said they would avoid giving me a project with a quick turn around. That was it. No one cared or gave me a hard time. I acted like an adult and they treated me like one. It was never mentioned again. Maybe a bachelor party is slightly different. Maybe don't call it a bachelor party?

I will be starting an SA this summer. I am also best man in a wedding and need to be at the rehearsal dinner on a Friday night in a different state. I emailed recruiting and explained the situation and was told the same as above. Basically let everyone you are working with know ahead of time.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 am

I'm taking some number of days off this summer, but because my wife is having a baby. I think it's reasonable to think firm reaction will vary based on reason for absence. That said, I'd contact the recruiter and be honest about things. You're the best man, it's not crazy to think you'd be a the bachelor party and it sounds like you're talking about missing 1 day, so not that crazy. I'd contact them asap, demonstrate a willingness to be flexible (work 4 long days that week, or make up a day on a weekend, etc.). If you have any contacts at the firm you especially trust, I'd run it by them, they'd know best if it's no big deal or not worth bringing up.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 am

homestyle28 wrote:I'm taking some number of days off this summer, but because my wife is having a baby. I think it's reasonable to think firm reaction will vary based on reason for absence. That said, I'd contact the recruiter and be honest about things. You're the best man, it's not crazy to think you'd be a the bachelor party and it sounds like you're talking about missing 1 day, so not that crazy. I'd contact them asap, demonstrate a willingness to be flexible (work 4 long days that week, or make up a day on a weekend, etc.). If you have any contacts at the firm you especially trust, I'd run it by them, they'd know best if it's no big deal or not worth bringing up.

This is actually how I started. I met an associate at a recruiting event who gave me her info so I emailed her and asked what she thought. She gave me the best advice on how to handle the situation.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:46 am

homestyle28 wrote:I'm taking some number of days off this summer, but because my wife is having a baby. I think it's reasonable to think firm reaction will vary based on reason for absence. That said, I'd contact the recruiter and be honest about things. You're the best man, it's not crazy to think you'd be a the bachelor party and it sounds like you're talking about missing 1 day, so not that crazy. I'd contact them asap, demonstrate a willingness to be flexible (work 4 long days that week, or make up a day on a weekend, etc.). If you have any contacts at the firm you especially trust, I'd run it by them, they'd know best if it's no big deal or not worth bringing up.

Congrats!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 am

I am having a hard time imagining a set of circumstances where you need an entire day off for a party.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 am

IAFG wrote:I am having a hard time imagining a set of circumstances where you need an entire day off for a party.

Also, this. I need to be at a rehearsal dinner that starts at 6:30 and will be at least going in for a couple hours in the morning.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 am

Lol. Some of you guys are so scared of life it's honestly sad. I hope it's just another symptom of being K-JD or something. But whatever the cause, you people saying you'd never do this need to grow a pair. How the hell did you guys even get hired into an adversarial occupation when you're so paralyzingly self-conscious that you can't tell people that you need to take a personal day without handwringing? You guys are going to be the same people coming back three years from now complaining about how hellish BigLaw is, completely burnt out, and turning in shitty work product because you never learned how to tell partners you're too busy to take their work. Anyone who's worked in a high-pressure professional environment will tell you that if you don't learn to respect your own time, no one else ever will. OP making himself miserable by skipping an event that obviously means a lot to him is not going to do anything but make him resent the hell out his job / firm. Of course you don't want to make a habit of being absent, but it's not as if HR is going to circulate a memo explaining to everyone why you missed a day so they can judge you for it.
Last edited by KidStuddi on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am

KidStuddi wrote:Lol. Some of you guys are so scared of life it's honestly sad. I hope it's just another symptom of being K-JD or something. But whatever the cause, you people saying you'd never do this need to grow a pair. How the hell did you guys even get hired into an adversarial occupation when you're so paralyzingly self-conscious that you can't tell people that you need to take a personal day without handwringing? You guys are going to be the same people coming back three years from now complaining about how hellish BigLaw is, completely burnt out, and turning in shitty work product because you never learned how to tell partners you're too busy to take their work. Anyone who's worked in a high-pressure professional environment will tell you that if you don't learn to respect your own time, no one else ever will. OP making himself miserable by skipping an event that obviously means a lot to him is not going to do anything but make him resent the hell out his job / firm.

How many people do you know who got no-offered?

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 am

One. Neurotic girl who got the "fit" talk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 am

Just call in sick, problem solved

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

KidStuddi wrote:One. Neurotic girl who got the "fit" talk.

Then I can see where ypu're coming from, but those of us who have seen more know better.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just call in sick, problem solved

Do not do this.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Depends on how laid back your firm is (or how laid back they want to look, really). I bounced at 11 one Friday because my gf had flown in to visit me and I didn't have any urgent work; nobody cared. If I hadn't had a meeting that morning, wouldn't have mattered if I'd laid out altogether so long as I told someone. If you're at a firm with a 75% offer rate or one where you're the only summer or one of 5 or something like that, you'd better be aware you're taking a big risk. No one here can tell you with certainty what to do because we don't know what your firm's like, what their offer rate is, how big their summer program is etc

Return to “Legal Employment”