Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Agent wrote:Circumstances vary, but I generally think it's a better idea to sink that time into churning out solid work for either a trade publication or a broadly-circulated, newsletter-type publication. Or maybe a reputable law journal, but you could probably crank out two solid, shorter publications in that amount of time.

Then again, I guess it's easy for the publishing plan to get derailed, so maybe secondary journal participation is a safer bet. And I can see merit in some of the above comments about not being the odd man out.


For OCI you probably won't have time to have done that. You get to put journal on your resume even when you haven't done anthing.

If you're in a position for publishing to be important, you should be gunning journal shit.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Quick replies:

Desert Fox wrote:For OCI you probably won't have time to have done that. You get to put journal on your resume even when you haven't done anthing.

^ Good point. When I said "sink that time," I was thinking about the time it takes to write a note. Still, I think 1L summer probably leaves at least enough time to get one or two decent works in the pipeline.

IAFG wrote:If you're in a position for publishing to be important, you should be gunning journal shit.

^ If we were talking only about law review articles, I'd probably agree. But you quoted me, and I wasn't, so I'll disagree.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22812
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Agent wrote:^ Good point. When I said "sink that time," I was thinking about the time it takes to write a note. Still, I think 1L summer probably leaves at least enough time to get one or two decent works in the pipeline.

I suppose it depends on how you define decent work...

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:19 pm

And length of the work, format of the work, research/writing ability, potential co-authorship, how much you already know about the topic, resources available, etc.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I suppose it depends on how you define decent work...
Last edited by Agent on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22812
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Agent wrote:And length of the work, format of the work, research/writing ability, potential co-authorship, how much you already know about the topic, etc.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I suppose it depends on how you define decent work...

Right. I tend to think most 1Ls aren't going to be in a position to churn out 2 decent pieces during the summer, but sure, there may be some who can. Doesn't sound like the OP's interested in that route, though.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Secondary Journals - worth the time and effort?

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Sorry, added another factor before I spotted your post. And I agree with this. (I guess it was the talk about publishing a note, rather than OP's post, that prompted me to mention this route.)

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Right. I tend to think most 1Ls aren't going to be in a position to churn out 2 decent pieces during the summer, but sure, there may be some who can. Doesn't sound like the OP's interested in that route, though.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.