Dress code for fed gov nyc 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dress code for fed gov nyc 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:33 pm

What is the dress code for most of these places? I read general rule is first day suit, figure rest out after, but I kind of want to know so I can go suit shopping before starts

bk1

Re: Dress code for fed gov nyc 1L

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Ask them.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 pm

First of all, everyone needs a suit in law school anyways (job interviews, networking events, moot court competitions, etc.). You probably should have bought one by now anyway.

But yeah, you've got the general rule down. The government also likes to tell employees to "dress for the job you want, not the one you have."

You'll probably switch to business casual after the first week or so, but you'll still need to have a suit on-hand.

For example, sometimes your supervisor will give you a heads up that the Director, Commissioner, etc. is stopping by tomorrow, and you'd best show up in a suit that day; or you'll have a partner/client from another agency or the private sector visit the office, and your boss will want you to be more presentable than usual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Total Litigator wrote:First of all, everyone needs a suit in law school anyways (job interviews, networking events, moot court competitions, etc.). You probably should have bought one by now anyway.

But yeah, you've got the general rule down. The government also likes to tell employees to "dress for the job you want, not the one you have."

You'll probably switch to business casual after the first week or so, but you'll still need to have a suit on-hand.

For example, sometimes your supervisor will give you a heads up that the Director, Commissioner, etc. is stopping by tomorrow, and you'd best show up in a suit that day; or you'll have a partner/client from another agency or the private sector visit the office, and your boss will want you to be more presentable than usual.

OP here: I have a suit , I have 2 suits, if I am wearing a suit everyday I would prefer to buy another suit before work

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:First of all, everyone needs a suit in law school anyways (job interviews, networking events, moot court competitions, etc.). You probably should have bought one by now anyway.

OP here: I have a suit , I have 2 suits, if I am wearing a suit everyday I would prefer to buy another suit before work

Which is why you should simply ask your employer about the dress code, as mentioned by bk1 above.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ah, that wasn't very clear from your question. I think it would depend on your specific agency / office custom and practice at that point.

Return to “Legal Employment”