Patent prosecutors - seeking advice for first year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cali_student

Patent prosecutors - seeking advice for first year

Postby cali_student » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Can some patent prosecutors please advise me on the practical things you wish you did right from the beginning of your job to potentially keep your life more organized, or keep up with skill development or be efficient? The only advice I can find online for advice to first year associates is generic stuff along the lines of "keep your chin up" and "ask questions" etc.
I'm looking for practical advice such as, keeping an on-going list of responses to certain office action rejections or access to good templates for responses. My only experience with PP was a short 2L summer position so I have a few ideas but I'm sure there's much more I could do to start off on the right foot. Advice about tricks for work-life balance, getting CLE's, developing skills, career growth and networking for PP associates would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Agent

Re: Patent prosecutors - seeking advice for first year

Postby Agent » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 am

I recommend that you ask this over at the intelproplaw forums. But maybe you're already on that. HTH.

gk101

Postby gk101 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:52 am

cali_student wrote:Can some patent prosecutors please advise me on the practical things you wish you did right from the beginning of your job to potentially keep your life more organized, or keep up with skill development or be efficient? The only advice I can find online for advice to first year associates is generic stuff along the lines of "keep your chin up" and "ask questions" etc.
I'm looking for practical advice such as, keeping an on-going list of responses to certain office action rejections or access to good templates for responses. My only experience with PP was a short 2L summer position so I have a few ideas but I'm sure there's much more I could do to start off on the right foot. Advice about tricks for work-life balance, getting CLE's, developing skills, career growth and networking for PP associates would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Keep samples of good 102(b) and 103(a) rejection arguments since those tend to be repeated very often in responses.

Just give the Examiners a call and schedule telephone interviews. Helps minimize pros history estoppels which is important for downstream litigation. Also, the PTO right now is trying to clear backlog and Examiners are more than willing to propose amendments that would place applications in condition for allowance.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:01 pm

My firm, like most law firms I have heard of, uses a document manager server for document storage. Be sure to title your responses in a way that helps you remember what the response was about, and then you'll always have a template. Additionally, you can set up a template and save it as a starting document. Barring those, it never hurts to ask other associates if they have a response to a similar action that you can look at. I would be surprised if they said no.

cali_student

Postby cali_student » Thu May 16, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Return to “Legal Employment”