Civil Procedure and Effects on OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
applesoranges123

Civil Procedure and Effects on OCI

Postby applesoranges123 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey, so I'm a current 1L..I had to withdraw from Civil Procedure last semester for health reasons..I basically completed the course, but because of the health problems couldn't take the exam..I was originally going to take it next fall, but am now thinking for certain reasons that I would rather take the course next summer or the fall of my 3L year...I was just wondering if when I do OCI in august, law firms will care that i have not fulfilled my civil procedure requirement by the time I start my internship? i.e. will they wonder why I didn't take it my 2L fall year? Also, for curiousity's sake, what are the internship hours typically like in big law, and would it be feasible to take civil procedure over the summer as an evening course at the same time?

rogermurdoch

Re: Civil Procedure and Effects on OCI

Postby rogermurdoch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Civ pro may be a prerequisite for a lot of the upper-level classes at your school. You might need to get it done sooner rather than later.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:57 pm

If you want to get a job in civil litigation, you need to take civil procedure before your 2L summer. Also, a firm might be reluctant to offer you a job if they see you haven't taken civ pro yet. So, take it ASAP.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Just take it and score an A+ bro. No big deal.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Uuuggh, i don't think im interested in doing any kind of litigation work though...I mean I took the whole course, but because of health problems in the end I didn't take the final...And in terms of coursework I don't think the classes that I will take in the next two years will have much to do with civil procedure..Law firms will care that I haven't completed civil procedure even though i don't think i want to do anything with litigation? Thanks!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:12 pm

applesoranges123 wrote:Uuuggh, i don't think im interested in doing any kind of litigation work though...I mean I took the whole course, but because of health problems in the end I didn't take the final...And in terms of coursework I don't think the classes that I will take in the next two years will have much to do with civil procedure..Law firms will care that I haven't completed civil procedure even though i don't think i want to do anything with litigation? Thanks!

I am pretty sure you won't be able to graduate without it at the very least. I would take it as early as possible because you don't want to ding yourself because you didn't want to take civpro.

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah I know that I won't be able to graduate without it..so basically because of health problems last semester, i had to withdraw from both contracts and civ pro..i want to take contracts in the fall because i want it with a particular teacher, and civ pro wont be offered next spring..the thought of having to spend next fall semester with half of my courseload being 1l courses when everyone else will be taking interesting upper class stuff seems horrible to me..so i thought that i could split it up a bit by taking it next summer, or in the fall of 3l year...i mean they have to offer it at some pt during my 3l year, so if i cant take it over the summer, i thought i could just take it then...i'm not worried about having it done before graduation, but with regards to if law firms will really care that i wont have completed it at the start of the internship...someone was telling me the other day that law firms dont really care about what classes you take, but more your gpa (although she was referring to choosing classes for 2L year...but still)

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Why can't you take civ pro this summer? Or contracts this summer, and civ pro in the fall? If you knock one out this summer and leave only one for the fall, you'll have more room for "interesting upper class stuff."

applesoranges123

Postby applesoranges123 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

law schools generally dont offer 1rst year courses over the summer, I only found one school in NYC that offers civ pro over the summer but I won't be in NYC this summer, but I think I would be there next summer..so that's why I thought I could take civ pro next summer or next fall..I dunno, having to go through half of 1L fall semester again right now when everyone else around me will be taking the upperclass stuff just seems depressing, so I thought this way I could split it up at least so it doesn't seem as bad...

aces

Postby aces » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 am

applesoranges123 wrote:law schools generally dont offer 1rst year courses over the summer, I only found one school in NYC that offers civ pro over the summer but I won't be in NYC this summer, but I think I would be there next summer..so that's why I thought I could take civ pro next summer or next fall..I dunno, having to go through half of 1L fall semester again right now when everyone else around me will be taking the upperclass stuff just seems depressing, so I thought this way I could split it up at least so it doesn't seem as bad...

On the bright side, you'll be taking it with a class of clueless 1Ls, whereas you'll have had a fair bit of law school/exam experience already.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 am

I think the fact that you have a withdrawn class on your transcript is going to present more problems than not having taken Civ Pro. What you need to know to work as a summer associate in a firm setting can be learned in less than a day by reading a supplement.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 am

You don't want to be in a 1L class as a 3L.

(says 3L in Con Law because I was too lazy to take it earlier.)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:09 am

worldtraveler wrote:You don't want to be in a 1L class as a 3L.

(says 3L in Con Law because I was too lazy to take it earlier.)

Yea, definitely just take crim and civ pro 2L fall.

You'll still relate to 1Ls somewhat so they won't be so annoying. And you can probably bang 1-2 of them.

Return to “Legal Employment”