Does anyone have experience with an on-line proofreading?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does anyone have experience with an on-line proofreading?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am

No matter how many times I proofread I still miss things because of dyslexia. Has anyone tried an online proofreader, either for law school or in practice?

badaboom61

Re: Does anyone have experience with an on-line proofreading?

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:No matter how many times I proofread I still miss things because of dyslexia. Has anyone tried an online proofreader, either for law school or in practice?

I would imagine this would violate your law school's academic honor code and your law firm's confidentiality agreement.

Does the ADA do anything for you? I don't know whether dyslexia would fall under there or if they'd do anything if it did.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:No matter how many times I proofread I still miss things because of dyslexia. Has anyone tried an online proofreader, either for law school or in practice?

I think for law school that could be a violation of the honor code, especially for Legal research and writing ( but yet how is not an ethical violation to post misleading statistics AND/OR constantly increase tuition costs OR b proactive in trying to reduce te number of jobless people ( either smaller class sizes, or increasing he competency requirements to be a CSO officer- which is why I don't even bother with them)

Check out your dean of students. If its documented by a doctor the should provide you with acceptable forms of assistance

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:37 am

In terms of practicing, most firms have designated proof readers. I always submit any pleading to them before filing; however, for day to day e-mails and memos you probably won't be able to do that due to time constraints.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 am

northwood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think for law school that could be a violation of the honor code, especially for Legal research and writing

It is a violation to get any help at all for legal writing class. But for upper-level classes we are allowed to have other people look over our work for grammatical mistakes only. We cannot receive suggestions on ideas, or flow, or clarity . . . but we are aollwed to have someone check for spelling, and passive voice, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 pm

OP here.

Prof. just emailed me back and said he wants us to do our own proofreading regardless of the honor code allowing it. So never mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Check out Elance.com. I've done random projects for attorneys there and I know a handful of other girls that work full time through that site. I've done mostly editing/summarizing type work and it is pretty common. Students needing help with their thesis, etc. You post the job, your budget (hourly or flat rate) and people bid on it. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Return to “Legal Employment”