Anybody still unemployed for 1L summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anybody still unemployed for 1L summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Panic or not panic?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Anybody still unemployed for 1L summer?

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Ask some profs if you can RA

If all of them say no, then panic

What have you done for job search so far?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm

uhhh what have you been doing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Yup. With a 3.86 at a top school (not t-14 but damn close and #1 in the region). I've been panicked for a while. You having the same issue of just not finding that many things available at this point?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:58 pm

stillwater wrote:uhhh what have you been doing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SHIA

New

Post by SHIA » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 pm

I would say check lawstudentjobs.net but the problem with submitting applications for those online job applications is that they are rarely (if ever) monitored. Few employers actually look through there, they take referrals from schools they know or if you know an HR manager's email address your best bet is to email them directly.

Have you tried PSJD.net? Does your school give funding for PI/govt jobs?

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:14 pm

SHIA wrote:I would say check lawstudentjobs.net but the problem with submitting applications for those online job applications is that they are rarely (if ever) monitored. Few employers actually look through there, they take referrals from schools they know or if you know an HR manager's email address your best bet is to email them directly.

Have you tried PSJD.net? Does your school give funding for PI/govt jobs?
Find the General Counsel's email and send it directly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:34 am

Yes. Still very actively looking (though now more focused on exams). Top 5-10% in a T1 school and the only one in a large market. I'd blame my interviewing but I've only gotten one interview (V50 with callback). I'm not alone in my frustration among my classmates (both in front and behind me in gpa), but at least they've gotten more nibbles.

Not going to panic until after finals are over. Eyes on the prize.
Anonymous User wrote: Anybody still unemployed for 1L summer?

Panic or not panic?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 am

Don't panic just yet, there are still opportunities out there. If this helps you at all, I know 6th Cir. is still hiring (Already accepted summer offers, else would totally apply myself. COA would look awesome on the resume).

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/internet/em ... ns2013.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:52 am

Beg and ask to do an RA with a professor. Explain your situation to the school and to your counselor. Don't spend too much time on this; study for finals.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 am

ajax adonis wrote:Beg and ask to do an RA with a professor. Explain your situation to the school and to your counselor. Don't spend too much time on this; study for finals.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 am

Your school has to have all kinds of Centers for the Study of Law and (Insert issue or population here). Talk to the attorneys there. They love summer help. Probably will pay nothing though, unless you get PI money from your school.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:16 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 2:43 pm

I (anonymously) wrote:Yes. Still very actively looking (though now more focused on exams). Top 5-10% in a T1 school and the only one in a large market. I'd blame my interviewing but I've only gotten one interview (V50 with callback). I'm not alone in my frustration among my classmates (both in front and behind me in gpa), but at least they've gotten more nibbles.

Not going to panic until after finals are over. Eyes on the prize.
Finally got another interview (unpaid but interesting and in area of interest to me; also an area for which I have a strong background) for after finals. (Thankfully they arranged the interviews through OCS, so they're aware of the finals schedule; a friend got an interview and they asked him for all his availability between days X and Y, where X was our first final and Y was our last final). First ray of light I've seen in a while.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Sat May 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Were you mainly looking for paid work? Most people that I know have unpaid work for their 1L summer.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat May 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Keep on looking through simplicity. There are still jobs, and even more jobs are opened after finals. At the same time, if you have actually tried so far to get a job without success, please also review your resume, or ask a friend to review it, or TLS, CS, anyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 am

UVAIce wrote:Were you mainly looking for paid work? Most people that I know have unpaid work for their 1L summer.
No. While I certainly applied for paid work (and that was my only interview so far), the bulk of my inquiries and applications have been for unpaid positions, including unpaid corp positions where I didn't even get an interview that went to K-JDs well behind me in class rank.

I would understand it if I was getting the interviews. At that point I'd think, well, maybe I'm not as polished as I'd like to think. And I've had my resume reviewed by numerous folks. A few of us have speculated that there may be something akin to yield protect, wanting to interview and select someone who will accept their offer and who won't renege later on when a better offer pops up. It's probably time I sit down with OCS and perhaps outside assistance and figure out what the hell is going on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 11:56 pm

How big of a problem is it if I only have one job for the second half of the summer and don't have anything for the first half?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How big of a problem is it if I only have one job for the second half of the summer and don't have anything for the first half?
Just do the second job and put "summer 2013" for the duration. In the meantime try to find something. Send letters to every state judge and call non-profits in your area.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How big of a problem is it if I only have one job for the second half of the summer and don't have anything for the first half?
Just do the second job and put "summer 2013" for the duration. In the meantime try to find something. Send letters to every state judge and call non-profits in your area.
Isn't that sort of disingenuous? Seems like something a lawyer would do.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 am

Danger Zone wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
The best outcome is for OP to scrounge up a job. There are still positions available I'm sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon May 06, 2013 12:38 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
The best outcome is for OP to scrounge up a job. There are still positions available I'm sure.
Small/solo firms are just starting to hire. Plus, most public interest places ALWAYS have a need to fill somewhere at all times. You probably won't get into their formal summer program this late, but they can always stick you in a courthouse self-help clinic or to do client intake at their field offices. People who complain that there's no jerbz this late are just picky and/or lazy.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 am

Yeah, our symplicity still has postings for formal non profit gigs too. It's not too late. OP just needs to start making calls ASAP.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 am

I repeat myself again. It is not too late. Last year I got an offer as far late as in June. Already had other things, but just letting you know. As a disclaimer I go to a t-14 and live in a larger market, so maybe it is different in other places.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”