Need help picking a 1L internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which to pick?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Option 1
50%
Option 2
50%

Total votes: 4

Anonymous User

Need help picking a 1L internship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Option 1: DA's office in the same town as my school (college town)

Option 2: Legal Aid office in major city where I am potentially interested in working in the future. This won't really involve much substantive work and is more client intake/helping clients navigate the court system.

Neither are paid. I am not really sure what to do because I'd rather spent the summer in the city of option 2, but relocating is costly, and the work may be less substantive. I am spending the first half of the summer doing criminal law, and I have a criminal background, so I am afraid if I pick the DA and spend my whole summer in criminal law I will be locked into it and I am not yet dead-set on practicing criminal law. However, the experience will probably be pretty good and I don't have to move.

Any thoughts? Is anyone more valuable/"better" than the other?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cinephile

Re: Need help picking a 1L internship

Postby cinephile » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:28 pm

You won't be locked into anything based on your 1L summer, and you can always do legal aid-type work as a clinic or externship during the school year. It's all about how you frame things.

If it were me, I'd pick option 1 because why incur the extra expenses? But if you really need to start building ties to city 2 ... maybe.

Anonymous User

Re: Need help picking a 1L internship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 pm

OP here, probably should've added that I have no ties to the city option 2 is in so building them is a factor. It's a major city but from what I've read on here, ties are still quite helpful there.

Return to “Legal Employment”