SEO c/o 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO c/o 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mtrrw wrote:Hey everyone,

NYC here. Extremely excited for the summer but kinda worrying about housing. Any other NYC people have luck yet?

Got into NY but a little confused on whether or not I should accept the offer. I want to end up in D.C. long-term, and I want to do DOJ work, maybe in antitrust or ENRD. Also super interested in clerking.

Should I accept? It's exploding, so I only have until 6 pm to decide.

Also, for NY, do they actually give you decent options for housing?

IMO you should take it. I dont feel that where you intern as a 0L has much to do with where you end up 3 years from now. You are going to network with people who have expansive networks themselves. Surely you will encounter people that have ties to where you want to be later in life. Also, firms have multiple locations and you could be placed at a firm that also has a D.C. office. I think you're looking at SEO a little narrowly. I don't view it as 0L internship>job with same exact firm every summer>job with exact firm after graduation. I view it as 0L internship>skills, networks, insight on how to better market myself to land what I want> good opportunities and OPTIONS for summer employment> using existing networks to land job post grad. That can take you very far! I would say it'd be crazy to turn down SEO unless you are currently employed somewhere that will give you very similar networking + skills building opportunities (with people in this field...) or you have personal life commitments (a family maybe) that require you to stay put until school. My $0.02. Let us know what you decide!

Oh- and for the housing, you can already look at the list on their website.
Edited to add that though you want to work government keep in mind that some big law assoc also go into government or are coming out of government. Don't think that the only people you will meet are big law partners that know absolutely 0 people working in govt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mtrrw wrote:Hey everyone,

NYC here. Extremely excited for the summer but kinda worrying about housing. Any other NYC people have luck yet?

Got into NY but a little confused on whether or not I should accept the offer. I want to end up in D.C. long-term, and I want to do DOJ work, maybe in antitrust or ENRD. Also super interested in clerking.

Should I accept? It's exploding, so I only have until 6 pm to decide.

Also, for NY, do they actually give you decent options for housing?

IMO you should take it. I dont feel that where you intern as a 0L has much to do with where you end up 3 years from now. You are going to network with people who have expansive networks themselves. Surely you will encounter people that have ties to where you want to be later in life. Also, firms have multiple locations and you could be placed at a firm that also has a D.C. office. I think you're looking at SEO a little narrowly. I don't view it as 0L internship>job with same exact firm every summer>job with exact firm after graduation. I view it as 0L internship>skills, networks, insight on how to better market myself to land what I want> good opportunities and OPTIONS for summer employment> using existing networks to land job post grad. That can take you very far! I would say it'd be crazy to turn down SEO unless you are currently employed somewhere that will give you very similar networking + skills building opportunities (with people in this field...) or you have personal life commitments (a family maybe) that require you to stay put until school. My $0.02. Let us know what you decide!

Oh- and for the housing, you can already look at the list on their website.
Edited to add that though you want to work government keep in mind that some big law assoc also go into government or are coming out of government. Don't think that the only people you will meet are big law partners that know absolutely 0 people working in govt.

I accepted.

edamame

Postby edamame » Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Checking in. Admitted to NY. Super excited.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:50 pm

edamame wrote:Checking in. Admitted to NY. Super excited.

There never should have been any doubt with your not so casual Yale acceptance. Congrats!

edamame

Postby edamame » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm

txdude45 wrote:
edamame wrote:Checking in. Admitted to NY. Super excited.

There never should have been any doubt with your not so casual Yale acceptance. Congrats!

Thanks! You're super generous in your compliments.

edamame

Postby edamame » Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 pm

A few questions:

1) Has anyone found housing yet, specifically any non-New Yorker?

2) Training starts on May 28, correct?

3) Firm placements will be here early next week, correct?

Gah, between looking for housing in New York and New Haven, my mind is going crazy. Throw in finals to the mixture, and it gets worse.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 pm

edamame wrote:A few questions:

2) Training starts on May 31, correct?

1) I may end up making a trip to the city next monday, or tuesday to look at some places. I did NYU housing a couple summers ago, which soured me on the college dorm idea.

2) I'm 99% sure this is right IIRC

3) Fingers crossed.
Last edited by txdude45 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 pm

txdude45 wrote:
edamame wrote:A few questions:

2) Training starts on May 31, correct?

1) I may end up making a trip to the city next monday, or tuesday to look at some places. I did NYU housing a couple summers ago, which soured me on the college dorm idea.

2) I'm 99% sure this is right IIRC

3) Fingers crossed.

If I can, I'll probably do NYU housing again. I'm relatively young -- and don't mind it (I think). The only question is -- will I get housing with NYU since it's so late in the game?

I will email Courtney to figure out the training date. I can't start on May 20, so it looks like I should get housing by the training date. Or maybe I'll sit tight and wait for firm placements that will be out by Monday.

Edit: Training starts on May 31.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 pm

How much money are you guys thinking about spending for housing this summer? Our pay is around 1300 a week right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much money are you guys thinking about spending for housing this summer? Our pay is around 1300 a week right?

You're right about the pay. Not sure how much I'll spend.

Do any of you know any good subletting sites? My contribution: There's one on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/214004715381479/).

edamame

Postby edamame » Sat May 04, 2013 12:14 am

When looking for housing, if someone finds a two bedroom, please post it on here.

I'd be interested in renting with you...if everything else works out.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sat May 04, 2013 10:39 am

edamame wrote:When looking for housing, if someone finds a two bedroom, please post it on here.

I'd be interested in renting with you...if everything else works out.

+1

edamame

Postby edamame » Sat May 04, 2013 2:36 pm

For NY, does anyone know what we can expect on the weekends when we're working? Right now, I'm not sure.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 pm

My friend who participated 2 years ago, had free weekends about 90% of the time.

edamame

Postby edamame » Sat May 04, 2013 2:48 pm

subtle wrote:My friend who participated 2 years ago, had free weekends about 90% of the time.

Okay, thanks. Wasn't sure what to expect. My mind is counting down until firm assignments (and start dates) come out. Then, I can finally figure out where I can / can't live.

Edit: Another good housing website is Walkscore.com. I don't attest to its reliability, in terms of not having fraudulent landlords, but it does show legitimate listings in other cities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 pm

txdude45 wrote:

I'm considering NYU housing. Can you please say what soured you on the college dorm idea?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

I'm considering NYU housing. Can you please say what soured you on the college dorm idea?

Mainly I didn't like that I had to sign in every guest and couldn't do anything in my room. I had cool roommates, one of which I still talk to, but I'm too used to living on my own to share a room with a rando. Sometimes you just want to chill on your own, but there's always someone else there who you awkwardly aren't talking to. I may just be bad at sharing a bedroom though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 7:13 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Mainly I didn't like that I had to sign in every guest and couldn't do anything in my room. I had cool roommates, one of which I still talk to, but I'm too used to living on my own to share a room with a rando. Sometimes you just want to chill on your own, but there's always someone else there who you awkwardly aren't talking to. I may just be bad at sharing a bedroom though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Not at all. The roommate thing is actually my last resort. I'm still frantically trying to find a single. Like you, sometimes I need to chill on my own and I have a history of ending up with roommates who want to do everything together all day and then go out together at night.

I'm actually glad you wrote this. It's great to see that someone else does not cheerfully want to room with a random person all summer. SEO is important to me and the last thing I want to do is end up with Satan for a roommate and then have to navigate that while trying to make the best of my internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Shit..... housing options in the Bay Area appear to be few and far between. Anyone having any luck?

Eta: I guess there's more options if I rent a car huh? Looks like a can get an economy car for around $500 a month. For some reason I thought public transit in SF would be sufficient. :?

edamame

Postby edamame » Sat May 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Not at all. The roommate thing is actually my last resort. I'm still frantically trying to find a single. Like you, sometimes I need to chill on my own and I have a history of ending up with roommates who want to do everything together all day and then go out together at night.

I'm actually glad you wrote this. It's great to see that someone else does not cheerfully want to room with a random person all summer. SEO is important to me and the last thing I want to do is end up with Satan for a roommate and then have to navigate that while trying to make the best of my internship.

+1. I would love to find a two-bedroom with someone, or else it's NYU dorms for me.

Need to know my start date first, though. Law Institute ends on Aug. 9, so that's the end date.

edamame

Postby edamame » Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Also, didn't know if there was a Facebook group or not (since I was accepted recently). Therefore, I created one by myself.

See the following link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/391120477664243/

Request access, and I will add you. If there's already a Facebook group, then my bad. I guess I'll count myself the creator of a lame group with only two members and zero discussions. :-)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am

Here are some further housing suggestions for NYC. It hasn't proven to be much more help to me, but perhaps someone else can find an option on it.
http://worklife.columbia.edu/temporary- ... s#section0

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Has anyone who got accepted this week received their firm placement?

edamame

Postby edamame » Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who got accepted this week received their firm placement?

Nope.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 pm

I and a few others received our Bay Area placements yesterday, so I would think that NY placements will be released soon.

Return to “Legal Employment”