Lateral associate question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral associate question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 pm

I work at a federal agency and interviewed with a biglaw firm about a week ago. Everything went well. I'm wondering if anyone has an educated guess or experience as to the turnaround time biglaw firms take between the interview and an offer/no offer? Thanks.

anon168

Re: Lateral associate question

Postby anon168 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at a federal agency and interviewed with a biglaw firm about a week ago. Everything went well. I'm wondering if anyone has an educated guess or experience as to the turnaround time biglaw firms take between the interview and an offer/no offer? Thanks.

Sort of need to know more details like what firm you are talking about, city, practice area, etc.

PM me if you want but 1 week is not out of bounds long, although you're getting close.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 am

Last year my firm hired a lateral that we interviewed over 6 months before the firm extended an offer. They kept in touch with the lateral on and off during this time period but took a really long time to commit because of the uncertainty of the economy. Obviously this is not typical...but I share this story to illustrate that it really depends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:55 pm

As someone going through the process, I can second that it really depends. If the firm needs to fill the slot ASAP and you are their only qualified candidate, the turn around could be very quick. If they are uncertain about their needs, 6 months of back and forth is not out of the question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks for the responses. Got the email today saying they want me to spend a few more months at my agency before they look at me again. Oh well.

Return to “Legal Employment”