Lateral move BigLaw - Got the interview, bad transcript

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arich24

Lateral move BigLaw - Got the interview, bad transcript

Postby arich24 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Man oh man it's been years since I've posted, but I always got good advice and now I'm in need of some!

I'm a 2nd year associate at a small firm looking to branch out into BigLaw. I practice in a niche area...it's all I do. Well, I came across a posting for a BigLaw position for a lateral move in my niche. Given my grades in law school (all decent except one HORRIBlE travesty 1L year that led me to graduate bottom half of the class (by a thousandth of a point), I figured I had no chance but they didn't ask for a transcript right off so I just tried to wow them with my experience.

Well, wouldn't you know I have an interview!! Exciting, right? Well now they want my transcript. :( I have no doubt that they will literally fall out of their chairs given their normal cut off.

Am I doomed?

DwightSchruteFarms

Re: Lateral move BigLaw - Got the interview, bad transcript

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:14 pm

From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, your transcript is important for lateraling if you do so within the first 3-5 years of practice. The greater the gap btwn law school and your interview, the less your transcript matters and the more important what you have done since graduation becomes.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Is the BigLaw position an associate position or contract attorney? If it's the latter, grades matter far less than you would think.

Either way, if your GPA / class rank wasn't on your resume to begin with, they're probably not expecting great things from your transcript. Since they extended you an interview, just barely below median probably won't doom you.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:32 pm

KidStuddi wrote:Is the BigLaw position an associate position or contract attorney? If it's the latter, grades matter far less than you would think.

Either way, if your GPA / class rank wasn't on your resume to begin with, they're probably not expecting great things from your transcript. Since they extended you an interview, just barely below median probably won't doom you.

How are your 2L grades?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

You're not really asking for advice. You'll have the answer soon enough. Good luck, hopefully your experience trumps your grades.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:34 pm

I don't think your doomed. When they ask for your transcript, you likely won't wow them; but if they are granting interviews without even asking to see it, it's not a priority for them (at least at the outset). Keep emphasizing experience; if they ask about grades, talk about how you improved after a rough grade in a 1L class, and then move right back to your experience, and how you've learned much more in practice. If they want grades to determine who they hire, there's nothing you can do. They've done nothing so far suggesting grades are that important, which makes me think you have a shot.

Nail it!

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Like others have pointed out, no one can really say how much the firm will care. Either way, you're going to find out soon.

Going into the interview, though, I wouldn't feel apologetic for your grades. If they bring it up, I would address it unabashedly. In my opinion, there's nothing shameful about the general explanation "I blew my shot in law school, and now I bust my ass around the clock to earn a second chance." You can also spin the contrast between your school and work successs. You can talk about how watching someone talk about legal concepts in the abstract for five months and capping it off with a four-hour closed book exam just wasn't a motivating environment for you. As you went into practice and actually had clients, deadlines, and fact patterns that were actually fact patterns, law came to life for you, you love it, and now you're able to perform at a much higher level. I'm no interviewing pro, but I would think that once you've had successful experience practicing law, a bad law school transcript is just a wrong prediction.

Congratulations, by the way!!

cgl27

Postby cgl27 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Bump this because I'm in a similar position as OP.

Lateraling in as a 1st year associate in a niche area, but submitted my mediocre transcript upon applying. BigLaw scheduled a call despite my transcript. My call is with a partner I have a previous work relationship with (partner likes me, we've had positive interactions). Am I doomed too -- is the call just a courtesy? Note I didn't reach out to the partner upon applying, I wanted my resume/application to speak for itself to secure a call.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:32 pm

cgl27 wrote:Bump this because I'm in a similar position as OP.

Lateraling in as a 1st year associate in a niche area, but submitted my mediocre transcript upon applying. BigLaw scheduled a call despite my transcript. My call is with a partner I have a previous work relationship with (partner likes me, we've had positive interactions). Am I doomed too -- is the call just a courtesy? Note I didn't reach out to the partner upon applying, I wanted my resume/application to speak for itself to secure a call.

You have lower self esteem than a fat, 14 year old girl with no dad.

Of course they are interested.

I'm sure some firms care about grades but I'm sure many more don't give a fuck. If the guy has a good working relationship, I'd assume grades play no part.

3-5 years is nerdy TLS FLAME.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:50 pm

No one has time to interview people as just a courtesy.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm

If the transcript makes it so you cant even get through the door, then you have an issue. But if they chose to interview you, you.have a chance. Take that opportunity and really wow.them. If you have a.really great interview, have solid work experience, etc., then they may very well place less emphasis on grades. Create the.best impression possible that makes them essentially forgot about your.transcriprt.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
cgl27 wrote:Bump this because I'm in a similar position as OP.

You have lower self esteem than a fat, 14 year old girl with no dad.

Of course they are interested.

I'm sure some firms care about grades but I'm sure many more don't give a fuck. If the guy has a good working relationship, I'd assume grades play no part.

3-5 years is nerdy TLS FLAME.

100% credited

Return to “Legal Employment”