Which job fair should I go? SEMJF or Bay area?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which job fair should I go? SEMJF or Bay area?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:10 pm

They are at the same time and I can only go to one. Does anyone else have to make the same choice? Which one will you go?

Anonymous User

Re: Which job fair should I go? SEMJF or Bay area?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They are at the same time and I can only go to one. Does anyone else have to make the same choice? Which one will you go?

Obvious questions:

1.) Where do you have ties?

2.) Where do you want to work?

target

Postby target » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They are at the same time and I can only go to one. Does anyone else have to make the same choice? Which one will you go?

Obvious questions:

This, and obviously go to the one you have more interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Obvious questions:

I don't have ties to the south or CA. I slightly prefer working at CA, but I Lavender Law is in SF this year and I'm going. So I'm wondering if I should go to SEMJF first and then to Lavender.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Obvious questions:

I am not familiar with the way job fairs work. Can I just bid both first and see which one gives me more interviews? Does it make sense to go to SEMJF on 26, fly to SF, and then do the Bay Area career fair on 27?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Obvious questions:

I am not familiar with the way job fairs work. Can I just bid both first and see which one gives me more interviews? Does it make sense to go to SEMJF on 26, fly to SF, and then do the Bay Area career fair on 27?

Semjf is a two-day affair, if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, keep in mind that lav law isn't an actual job fair with interviews. Your chances of getting a callback from semjf are exponentially higher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Obvious questions:

You can bid on both. There's a deadline after you get selected to accept/decline interviews. No harm in applying to both and making the decision later on. Don't do both, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:41 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Semjf is a two-day affair, if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, keep in mind that lav law isn't an actual job fair with interviews. Your chances of getting a callback from semjf are exponentially higher.

It's not? What is then - a resume drop?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

table talks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Apply to both and determine where you get interviews. SEMJF is pre-selected, meaning if you get an interview, the employer truly wants to interview you; it's not just a lottery system. I'm not sure how the bay area firm works.

Keep in mind firms will really want you to have ties. I got many SEMJF interviews, but no bay area interviews because I have no ties to califorinia. My advice is to attend as many interviews as you can afford and hope for the best. SEMJF has been a very good fair in the past. If you're in BLSA, also definitely check out all of their fairs. Even if you're not in BLSA, join now and bid. Many people at BLSA fairs last year weren't black.

Finally, Lavender is kind of daunting. Imagine a huge hotel conference room with hundreds of tables and people waiting in line. You drop of your resume, shake hands, and ask a few question. A few firms did mini interviews, but it was very informal. There is no way to pre-select you, so they literally talk to every student that goes up to them. Have a game plan (list of firms to submit to) and stick to it.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 am

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

table talks

Can you explain what a table talk is? Thanks.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

table talks

Can you explain what a table talk is? Thanks.

the anon above did a good job

Anonymous User wrote:Finally, Lavender is kind of daunting. Imagine a huge hotel conference room with hundreds of tables and people waiting in line. You drop of your resume, shake hands, and ask a few question. A few firms did mini interviews, but it was very informal. There is no way to pre-select you, so they literally talk to every student that goes up to them. Have a game plan (list of firms to submit to) and stick to it.

unlike a formal interview, you have little privacy and lots of distractions (e.g., people pacing around you, the conversation between another student with another firm literally 2 feet away from you, the person waiting in line right behind you, etc). also, unless your school's sponsoring you, lav law is pretty damn expensive.

Return to “Legal Employment”