most laid back firm of V10, V20

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273570
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Within the V20, Jones Day seems to have a pretty solid work-live balance (only if measured on a BigLaw scale, of course). People were almost all gone from the office by 7:30 (unsure how much remote work happened from home later) etc. And they explicitly disclaim tying compensation to billable hours. The expectation is still somewhere in the 1900 to 2000 range (200 of which can be pro bono), but there isn't a lot of pressure to be hitting the higher numbers. HTH.


fwiw I have heard the exact opposite about Jones Day (s, Nights, and Weekends)


I'm the first anon above. I can only speak to the DC office so maybe it's different elsewhere. Honestly, I think the Jones Day[s and Nights] joke exists more because it's an obvious play on words than because it's actually true (or at least compared to other V20 firms in DC/NYC). I have heard that the Texas office(s) refer to the NYC/DC offices that way; welcome to the big city. But people also refer to the firm as Mother Jones, not because it bears any resemblance to the liberal/progressive magazine but because it's a natural play on words and evokes a funny mental image. Ok carry on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273570
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Within the V20, Jones Day seems to have a pretty solid work-live balance (only if measured on a BigLaw scale, of course). People were almost all gone from the office by 7:30 (unsure how much remote work happened from home later) etc. And they explicitly disclaim tying compensation to billable hours. The expectation is still somewhere in the 1900 to 2000 range (200 of which can be pro bono), but there isn't a lot of pressure to be hitting the higher numbers. HTH.


fwiw I have heard the exact opposite about Jones Day (s, Nights, and Weekends)


I'm the first anon above. I can only speak to the DC office so maybe it's different elsewhere. Honestly, I think the Jones Day[s and Nights] joke exists more because it's an obvious play on words than because it's actually true (or at least compared to other V20 firms in DC/NYC). I have heard that the Texas office(s) refer to the NYC/DC offices that way; welcome to the big city. But people also refer to the firm as Mother Jones, not because it bears any resemblance to the liberal/progressive magazine but because it's a natural play on words and evokes a funny mental image. Ok carry on.


Agreed that its just a joke play on words, and not meant to actually imply that the hours at Jones Day are any worse than anywhere else. In fact, after spending a summer there, always seemed like office was dead and pretty empty by about 7-7:30. Of course, hours, lifestyle, "laid back"-ness, etc. all depend on group. When I was there, people in real estate, for example, seemed especially high strung and stressed, working very long hours, but people in more niche groups such as labor and employment seemed far more laid back, worked a more humane schedule, and seemed far more satisfied overall. So it really varies.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:30 am

Trying to distinguish between NYC V20s is silly because they're largely made up of the same people. The same associates and partners, trained at the same schools, hired for similar reasons, lateralling around servicing the same clients. Yes, there are some superficial differences. If what you mean is "can I wear jeans to work?" We can help you with that.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby rayiner » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:39 am

Hours "requirements" are flame. There are lots of V20's which really do meant it when they say their expectation is 1900-2000 hours. But these also staff work by picking th least busy people. So the push isn't to do more than that for the sake of hours, it's doing your fair share of the work when everyone is busy.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 am

What a lynch mob. It's not crazy to think that there might be a cultural difference between S&C, Covington, and Debevoise, or whatever. Unfortunately thesealocust's post about firm stereotypes is probably about as precise as you can get as far as this information goes, but I don't think it's a stupid question.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:What a lynch mob. It's not crazy to think that there might be a cultural difference between S&C, Covington, and Debevoise, or whatever. Unfortunately thesealocust's post about firm stereotypes is probably about as precise as you can get as far as this information goes, but I don't think it's a stupid question.

No, it's not crazy to think they might have meaningful differences. But do they actually?

letsdoit
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby letsdoit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 am

Blindmelon wrote:Its practice area/location, not really firm. 1) Don't work in NYC; 2) Do work in tax or regulatory. Do not go into corporate (unpredictable hours) or lit (constantly chugging hours).


what makes you say "do tax/regulatory"?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:What a lynch mob. It's not crazy to think that there might be a cultural difference between S&C, Covington, and Debevoise, or whatever. Unfortunately thesealocust's post about firm stereotypes is probably about as precise as you can get as far as this information goes, but I don't think it's a stupid question.


Right, but OP asked about "laid back" twice, not cultural differences, and it's absurd to think any of these firms are anything but the opposite of laid back.

I'm actually pretty impressed with my first reply. I mean, people do spend time talking about the relative safety of motorcycles... it's just a little absurd that they do, because they're all two-wheeled death machines.

Jimbo_Jones
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Yo OP, you don't get to the top of the pack by being laid back. Just sayin'

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Jimbo_Jones wrote:Yo OP, you don't get to (or stay at) the top of the pack by being laid back. Just sayin'


FTFY.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:What a lynch mob. It's not crazy to think that there might be a cultural difference between S&C, Covington, and Debevoise, or whatever. Unfortunately thesealocust's post about firm stereotypes is probably about as precise as you can get as far as this information goes, but I don't think it's a stupid question.


Right, but OP asked about "laid back" twice, not cultural differences, and it's absurd to think any of these firms are anything but the opposite of laid back.

I'm actually pretty impressed with my first reply. I mean, people do spend time talking about the relative safety of motorcycles... it's just a little absurd that they do, because they're all two-wheeled death machines.

Yeah, to be honest I'm impressed with it, too.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:What a lynch mob. It's not crazy to think that there might be a cultural difference between S&C, Covington, and Debevoise, or whatever. Unfortunately thesealocust's post about firm stereotypes is probably about as precise as you can get as far as this information goes, but I don't think it's a stupid question.


Right, but OP asked about "laid back" twice, not cultural differences, and it's absurd to think any of these firms are anything but the opposite of laid back.

I'm actually pretty impressed with my first reply. I mean, people do spend time talking about the relative safety of motorcycles... it's just a little absurd that they do, because they're all two-wheeled death machines.

Yeah, to be honest I'm impressed with it, too.


I don't know, I mean, it was OK. :lol:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Which motorcycle is the safest?


Mine!

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby thesealocust » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Which motorcycle is the safest?


Mine!


An R6? Yeah no :P

Somebody parks a pristine white 848 right outside of my apartment. It fill me with a primal yearning.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 am

thesealocust wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Which motorcycle is the safest?


Mine!


An R6? Yeah no :P

Somebody parks a pristine white 848 right outside of my apartment. It fill me with a primal yearning.


R6 was the first time I raced on. I will pick my AMA Formula Xtreme bike (it was loosely a ZX10 but nothing stock) over anything anyone can come up here :mrgreen:

Basically, I make anything go fast :wink:

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 pm

There is no laid back in big city biglaw, just varying levels of office formality and numbers of people who like to get drunk during the week.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:There is no laid back in big city biglaw, just varying levels of office formality and numbers of people who like to get drunk during the week.


Disagree. There were some firms I did for callbacks for in LA there are legitimately low-key. Smaller offices tend to be better from what I've seen.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:There is no laid back in big city biglaw, just varying levels of office formality and numbers of people who like to get drunk during the week.


Disagree. There were some firms I did for callbacks for in LA there are legitimately low-key. Smaller offices tend to be better from what I've seen.


How would you possibly know this from a callback.

formerprelawhopeful
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby formerprelawhopeful » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, & Katz FTW

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:There is no laid back in big city biglaw, just varying levels of office formality and numbers of people who like to get drunk during the week.


Disagree. There were some firms I did for callbacks for in LA there are legitimately low-key. Smaller offices tend to be better from what I've seen.


How would you possibly know this from a callback.

Dude, because the associates said so. Duh.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:There is no laid back in big city biglaw, just varying levels of office formality and numbers of people who like to get drunk during the week.


Disagree. There were some firms I did for callbacks for in LA there are legitimately low-key. Smaller offices tend to be better from what I've seen.


How would you possibly know this from a callback.

Dude, because the associates said so. Duh.


Multiple Quinn associates told me that they don't work a lot.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 pm

All of the Quinn associates I know work extremely hard. Like 2600-2800 hard.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:All of the Quinn associates I know work extremely hard. Like 2600-2800 hard.


Yea, which is why it's funny they told me they didn't.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 pm

I met a Quinn associate who straight up told me she sleeps under her desk and not to go there. As for the LA firm that I did a callback with, it wasn't just associates and partners emphasizing it; one of my best friends who's a year above me did her summer there and loved it for its culture.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: most laid back firm of V10, V20

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 am

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:There is no laid back in big city biglaw, just varying levels of office formality and numbers of people who like to get drunk during the week.


Disagree. There were some firms I did for callbacks for in LA there are legitimately low-key. Smaller offices tend to be better from what I've seen.


How would you possibly know this from a callback.

Dude, because the associates said so. Duh.


TYFT

Every firm pulls the wool over interviewees' eyes. Hell, most firms shield summers from work.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.