Going In House

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Murphy1022

Going In House

Postby Murphy1022 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:14 pm

If your ultimate goal is to end up in house, do you advance faster within the corporation by working at a big law firm for 5-6 years and then jumping ship or by starting at the bottom and working your way up?

spicyyoda17

Re: Going In House

Postby spicyyoda17 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Murphy1022 wrote:If your ultimate goal is to end up in house, do you advance faster within the corporation by working at a big law firm for 5-6 years and then jumping ship or by starting at the bottom and working your way up?

My exposure to F500 (and F1000) legal teams would suggest that big law for 5 years would be significantly more beneficial than beginning in-house right off the bat.

This may be different for small companies that have a regional focus, but I have found the above comment to ring true through the vast majority of legal teams I've come across the past 2 years.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 pm

In terms of starting at the bottom, be advised that significant numbers of inhouse positions aren't available to people who haven't put in a stint at a big law firm first.

Aside from that, I've heard that it's a fine line: the more senior you are when you move, likely the brighter your prospects - but past a certain 'age' it's trickier to move, because your rate/experience level will be higher than most openings available.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:In terms of starting at the bottom, be advised that significant numbers of inhouse positions aren't available to people who haven't put in a stint at a big law firm first.

This has been my experience as well. I work at a F500 employer and our IP counsel has flat-out told me they won't hire me without law firm experience.

zachanson

Postby zachanson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 am

Any idea about the income level for an in-house counsel with 5 yr law firm/biglaw experience?
And how would his/her income progress? Say this guy goes in-house with 5 yr biglaw experience under his belt, how much would his income advance after staying with that company for another 5 yrs? Say this is a decent big corporation in a major city.

I know it's pretty vague and must vary a lot among companies... Just want to get some basic idea. It's as easy to figure out as the biglaw lock step compensations.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 am

zachanson wrote:Any idea about the income level for an in-house counsel with 5 yr law firm/biglaw experience?
And how would his/her income progress? Say this guy goes in-house with 5 yr biglaw experience under his belt, how much would his income advance after staying with that company for another 5 yrs? Say this is a decent big corporation in a major city.

I know it's pretty vague and must vary a lot among companies... Just want to get some basic idea. It's as easy to figure out as the biglaw lock step compensations.

http://www1.salary.com/Associate-Genera ... alary.html

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

zachanson

Postby zachanson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 am

jbiresq wrote:
zachanson wrote:Any idea about the income level for an in-house counsel with 5 yr law firm/biglaw experience?

http://www1.salary.com/Associate-Genera ... alary.html

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Interesting. I'm speculating that the second one, "senior counsel", might be someone with 5-8 yrs of biglaw experience, which means he/she was making roughly $200-250K/yr.
I often hear people say you have to take a huge pay cut to go in house. Transitioning from $250K at biglaw to $180K at a big corporation probably counts as a huge pay cut. But it may well be worth it if you could get work life balance in exchange.
But then again I guess $180k in house gig isn't that easy to come by. hmm...

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 am

zachanson

Postby zachanson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 am

oh and another thing I'm jealous about in house counsels is the stock options / RSU.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:51 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=207921

I found this link pretty interesting the other day. Seems like the in-house pay, if you can get it, is pretty good considering the work-life balance

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:35 am

http://www.roberthalflegal.com/salarycenter

Shows base salary for attorneys at in house positions w/ 4-9 years experience in NY as:

144k (25th) - 204k (median) - 264k (75th)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 am

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/in-defen ... pensation/

experience: 8 years at a top 10 firm as an associate

in-house
a signing bonus and relocation package that totaled over $150k
Salary: $250k
Stock Grants: Variable, but the past two years, I’ve received over $100k per year
401(k): Matching up to 6% contribution
Cash Bonus: Variable, but I average $80k per year for the last two years
Pension: Upon retirement, I have a pension (a very nice one)

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/in-defense-of-in-house-counsel-compensation/

in-house
Stock Grants: Variable, but the past two years, I’ve received over $100k per year

WTF @ that signing bonus???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

This is a really good question. I am trying to figure it out myself as a 3yr corporate associate.

I know I do not want to go the partner route...the only question is when is it best to jump ship. I'm getting great experience, but the hours are brutal. The compensation is almost secondary to the career path/marketability/fulfilling position considerations.

zachanson

Postby zachanson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/in-defense-of-in-house-counsel-compensation/

in-house

shocking numbers.
however, it would really sad if 40-50% of that income goes to tax! taxes and inflation are crazy these days and probably will get worse and worse.
it has become necessary to make smart investments and protect your hard earned money.

Return to “Legal Employment”