Cincy legal market (taft, dinsmore, frost, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
az21833

Cincy legal market (taft, dinsmore, frost, etc)

Postby az21833 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Does anybody have any insight into the Cincy legal market? I know the players are taft, dinsmore, frost, porter, vorys, keating (am i forgetting any?) but which among these have the strongest practices, pay the most, have the best name locally, etc. are any of them known for anything in particular? just any insight at all would be great.

az21833

Re: Cincy legal market (taft, dinsmore, frost, etc)

Postby az21833 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 pm

whoops, my apologies didnt know this existed. Mod can you move this guy over to ask a graduate by chance? much appreciated

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Check out nalp for compensation. If you're from Cincinnati, you should already know who has the best name locally. If you're not from Cincinnati, you'll have a difficult time getting into any of these firms.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:18 am

from cincinnati. good call on nalp. i would think frost or taft would be the most well-regarded shops in town but wanted to see if there were any differing opinions

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:13 am

az21833 wrote:whoops, my apologies didnt know this existed. Mod can you move this guy over to ask a graduate by chance? much appreciated

Well I'm a law student and curious about this so I'll go ahead and bump and preempt the 0L question.

Anyone with thoughts and info on this, please be so kind to share.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am

Quick and dirty:

1. You attend UC, are near the top of your class, and have ties to Cincinnati/OH: You may be able to break into the market
2. You attend NKU, are the top of your class, and have ties to Cincinnati/OH: You may be able to break into the market
2. You attend T14, have good grades, and extensive ties to Cincinnati: You may be able to break into the market

There is a lot of misconception that the Cincinnati legal market is growing. While it is certainly improving, it hasn't hit the growth stage. It's not like eastern OH which has a booming legal market due to shale and other energy sources.

The bigger firms (Taft, Baker, Frost, KMK, Katz, Squire, Thompson Hine) may hire a combined 10-15 2Ls, and that is probably optimistic.. Some (Squire) are just not hiring.

Dinsmore? Maybe. But then they will probably want you in one of their more energy-focused offices.

It's tough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 am

are there any 1L positions at firms? i'll be hys but grew up / went to high school in cincy and am working here now. not sure how that positions me

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm

az21833 wrote:are there any 1L positions at firms? i'll be hys but grew up / went to high school in cincy and am working here now. not sure how that positions me

Sorry, I was a bit harsh before. There are some 1L slots, they're normally hiring through their diversity programs though, so you may or may not be eligible. In general, the summer programs aren't that big.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:45 pm

*In before someone makes the inevitable "Cincinnati interviews ask you where to high school" comment*

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 pm

If you are a law school super duper duper star and they happen to be hiring that year, Katz Teller is the place to be.

Dinsmore, FBT, Taft, KMK are all good places. Vorys Cincinnati is still Vorys and would be great if you could get it. Baker's Cincy office is pretty small. If you're an IP bro, a products liability bro, and/or have some background in pharma, Ulmer Cincinnati would be a great gig. Squire seems like it's having problems, but I don't know anything about them in Cincy.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:42 pm

TTH wrote:If you are a law school super duper duper star and they happen to be hiring that year, Katz Teller is the place to be.

Dinsmore, FBT, Taft, KMK are all good places. Vorys Cincinnati is still Vorys and would be great if you could get it. Baker's Cincy office is pretty small. If you're an IP bro, a products liability bro, and/or have some background in pharma, Ulmer Cincinnati would be a great gig. Squire seems like it's having problems, but I don't know anything about them in Cincy.

What's Katz Teller - i have never even heard of them?

I've always thought of FBT and Taft as above Dinsmore and KMK. Would Vorys be above all these guys for the brand name?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 pm

For now just worry about the first day of class, networking, and doing well. Cincy's a tough market. Don't bank on it and focus on classes.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:For now just worry about the first day of class, networking, and doing well. Cincy's a tough market. Don't bank on it and focus on classes.

This.

And for people obsessing over prestige, pretty much all the big firms (Taft, Dinsmore, FBT, KMK, Squire, Vorys, KMK) are all equal. None of them are going to open way better career options than any of the others. If you're statistically lucky enough to be picking between them, just go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. Not complicated.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:07 pm

understood. thanks for all the advice guys, taken to heart. il check back in in a year or something haha.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:34 pm

az21833 wrote:
TTH wrote:If you are a law school super duper duper star and they happen to be hiring that year, Katz Teller is the place to be.

Boutique firm. Back when they were on NALP directory, their entry-level associate pay was like 135k

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:33 pm

TTH wrote:
az21833 wrote:

Boutique firm. Back when they were on NALP directory, their entry-level associate pay was like 135k

TTH - different anon here, thanks for info. I'm a Cincy native at HYS and thinking hard about returning. Can you explain the legal hierarchy in Cincy a bit more, what the different firms are good at, what kind of places people go after the leave? Are these firms the same as big law in that most people leave after 5 years, or can you actually have a career with a firm? Please and thank you for any info you have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:38 pm

I'll put a bump out there for Frost. Great firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”