Failed small-law stories Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Failed small-law stories

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Last fall during OCI, two of the firms that I interviewed with were small patent prosecution shops. One of them had too much work, but they were making tons of money. The other shop was a lifestyle firm, with 1650/yr billing requirements and lower pay, but you made market rates if you billed to 2000. I talked with the founding partners of both firms, and they told me stories of how they successfully founded the firm.

Now I'm thinking that sometime far after I graduate, I may do the same. Does anyone have stories of failed solos to help put this in perspective? Stories from all fields of law are welcome. I will do patent lit or pros.

mephistopheles

Gold

Re: Failed small-law stories

Post by mephistopheles » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 pm

define "failed"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 am

Failed as in they tried to start their own small shop, but they were unable to continue to do so at some point for lack of revenue or personal satisfaction.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Solos don't so much "fail" around here (Southern New Mexico) because there's enough criminal defense and PI work to go around but what DOES happen is that a lawyer will get by for fifteen years or so then realize he has not made any provision for retirement. That's when the panic sets in and it isn't a pretty sight. Or, even worse, some major medical problem shows up bringing big bills and no income for some period of time. That's what "desperation" really looks like. Horrible.

Anyone considering hanging a shingle needs a proper, written business plan and revenue/expense projections. And insurance. Lots of insurance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”