When to tell 1L Judge / Clerks I have to take days off Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to tell 1L Judge / Clerks I have to take days off

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 am

Working for a federal judge (1L) in the summer. Have to go to PLIP / SEMJF. Will require about 3 days off. Both events are in late July Early August.

Should I email them now and tell them? Or wait till I start a few weeks in when they're more comfortable with me.

Thanks in Advance.

Murphy1022

New

Re: When to tell 1L Judge / Clerks I have to take days off

Post by Murphy1022 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Ultimately it will depend on the personality of your Judge, but if you waited until you started in May and after a few weeks let them know about days in later July/early August and its for school/job search you should be fine.

Green Crayons

Bronze

Post by Green Crayons » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Email the judge's administrative assistant/secretary and suggest that you will need to take time off over the course of the summer, and inquire as to when it would be appropriate to let her and the judge know.

You will have accomplished (1) allowing him/her to let you know when it would be appropriate to give her more specific details, and (2) will have already put in on their radar.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 pm

You're over thinking this. You're a summer intern. Tell the court's secretary (or whoever your contact is) on day one that you will need to take off days X, Y, and Z. The judge won't give one single crap. You're a 1L, they aren't relying on you for anything. If, by the end of the summer, the judge knows your name, then you've done more than most interns. If you happen to be working on a time sensitive project that might overlap your absence, just remind the clerk you'll be gone.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:You're over thinking this. You're a summer intern. Tell the court's secretary (or whoever your contact is) on day one that you will need to take off days X, Y, and Z. The judge won't give one single crap. You're a 1L, they aren't relying on you for anything. If, by the end of the summer, the judge knows your name, then you've done more than most interns. If you happen to be working on a time sensitive project that might overlap your absence, just remind the clerk you'll be gone.
+1

the truth is spoken!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”