How pushy can we get for prestigious govt jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How pushy can we get for prestigious govt jobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:57 pm

I am a 2L that wants to work (unpaid) for a major federal body this summer in a major US city. My work experience matches up well and I've had two interviews, both went pretty well.

My first interview was at the end of Jan. I did not hear back until I emailed a contact a week after they told me they'd contact me back after the first interview. Second interview went even better with 3 senior attorneys in the office. That was the first week of March, and I was told I'd hear back soon, if not by the end of the month. The end of the month was 15 days ago (or 18 if you count the last business day). I emailed a week after the second deadline they gave me and didn't hear back at all. A week after that I called my contact to see whats going on. "We will be making our decision very soon next week". I have again heard nothing back and that "soon next week" was last week. They have completely blown the 3 deadlines they've given me on when they'd get back to me, downright blew off an email, and seemingly lied last time I contacted them 2 business weeks ago.

I have 6 days of class left, and have only unsubstantiated second options. I started pushing on my other options hard again last week, but I've been getting f**ked listening to the deadlines they gave me. I keep thinking I will hear any day now, but they've blown 3 deadlines and have otherwise been silent.

Its likely I still get it, and they are just very busy. However am I all right to call and demand a decision or a hard date? The office has the ability to refer me in the future to other less demanding offices after graduation for employment so I dont want to make a bad impression, but I just don't know what to do.

LawIdiot86

Re: How pushy can we get for prestigious govt jobs?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I hate to sound mean, but you finish 2L in a month. There is no "being pushy." At this point you're begging for job so you don't have an unexplainable hole on your resume going into 3LOLCI. If you've only got this one iron in the fire (why only one iron, I can't imagine), you need to be begging/groveling for them to please take you on under whatever conditions they desire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm

dont forget that you're dealing with the federal government. As an attorney in a DC federal agency, I can tell you things don't move quickly and there's often not a centralized hiring authority. I would leave the govt job on the backburner and work out some other options. If you take another offer, and then get the govt job, there's nothing wrong with reneging on your first offer. People understand and it happens all the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 pm

I've had two fed gov't internships. Both times, I got the offer after the date they gave me when a decision would made. However, it was only a week or two later in both cases.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Fed gov is notoriously slow in responding and meeting their deadlines, so don't wait to hear from them. Keep applying till you get something. You're cutting it close.

Return to “Legal Employment”