Frequency of Client Meetings as a Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Frequency of Client Meetings as a Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 pm

I'll be summering in commercial lit at a large NYC firm this summer, which has a business casual dress code. I'm trying to figure out how many dress shirts I need for when I have to wear a suit, so wondering how frequently I'd need them. Are 2 suit shirts sufficient, or should I have at least 3-4 ready?

imchuckbass58

Re: Frequency of Client Meetings as a Summer

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be summering in commercial lit at a large NYC firm this summer, which has a business casual dress code. I'm trying to figure out how many dress shirts I need for when I have to wear a suit, so wondering how frequently I'd need them. Are 2 suit shirts sufficient, or should I have at least 3-4 ready?

What's a suit shirt as distinguished from a shirt you'd wear for business casual anyways? Your business casual shirts should double as suit shirts - just change pants, throw on a tie and suit jacket, and you're ready to go. As a side note, if your shirt can't be worn under a suit (i.e., it's a color that's not white, blue, or subtle pink), you're probably better off not wearing it for business casual anyways.

But to answer your question, it's unlikely you'll have to wear a suit more than once in a given week, unless you're constantly in court (e.g., staffed on a trial team). So two should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks - that totally makes sense! The (somewhat silly) reason is that I have a disproportionately large neck, so need to get shirts custom fitted if I want to wear a tie while not looking like a 9-year-old who borrowed his dad's shirt. As custom fitted shirts aren't cheap, it's impracticable for my b-casual shirts to double as suit shirts.

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be summering in commercial lit at a large NYC firm this summer, which has a business casual dress code. I'm trying to figure out how many dress shirts I need for when I have to wear a suit, so wondering how frequently I'd need them. Are 2 suit shirts sufficient, or should I have at least 3-4 ready?

What's a suit shirt as distinguished from a shirt you'd wear for business casual anyways? Your business casual shirts should double as suit shirts - just change pants, throw on a tie and suit jacket, and you're ready to go. As a side note, if your shirt can't be worn under a suit (i.e., it's a color that's not white, blue, or subtle pink), you're probably better off not wearing it for business casual anyways.

But to answer your question, it's unlikely you'll have to wear a suit more than once in a given week, unless you're constantly in court (e.g., staffed on a trial team). So two should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:35 pm

I wore business casual most of the time and kept a jacket and tie in the office closet. I only used them once when an associate asked me to deliver a document to a client in a hotel nearby. It was pretty awkward. The client was like who the hell are you and I had to explain that the associate had an emergency so he asked me to deliver the document.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks - that totally makes sense! The (somewhat silly) reason is that I have a disproportionately large neck, so need to get shirts custom fitted if I want to wear a tie while not looking like a 9-year-old who borrowed his dad's shirt. As custom fitted shirts aren't cheap, it's impracticable for my b-casual shirts to double as suit shirts.

Ah, got it. That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, you should be fine with two. I wore a suit maybe 5 or 6 days during my summer, and never more than 2 days in a row. You also often have advance notice of when you'll need to wear one (but it's a good idea to keep a set of clothes ready to go in case you don't).

Return to “Legal Employment”