Seminars to boost GPA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Seminars to boost GPA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:44 pm

I want to go into plaintiff’s side employment litigation. I can picture being happy in other areas, but it is what I am shooting for and I have no interest in big law. My school has a “suggested” curve after 1L, but looking at historical trends I noticed they essentially follow the “suggested” curve to a T besides seminars where it seems almost everyone gets an “A.”

Should I go for classes that’d make sense for me such as evidence, employment law, employment discrimination, etc……. or should I try to load up on seminars to boost gpa?

LawIdiot86

Re: Seminars to boost GPA?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm

There are no seminars remotely related to employment law? If not, I would do the seminars and then intern at something that screams employment law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:45 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:There are no seminars remotely related to employment law?

This. Are there no seminars that cover broad topics that are applicable to nearly all areas of law?

Also, I've never had an interviewer say "oh you took this class, that's good because that's what we do," but I have had an interviewer say "wow you did really well in this class" even though the class wasn't really what the firm did. My opinion is that employers generally care less about what courses you took and more about the gpa you got in those classes.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

It's also worth noting that any sort of graduation honors (latin or otherwise) are always worth more than specific courses. A high GPA is good, but latin honors are the kind of thing that gets listed in your bio for years.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Take employment and employment discriination, but then load up on easy a's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:There are no seminars remotely related to employment law?

This. Are there no seminars that cover broad topics that are applicable to nearly all areas of law?

Also, I've never had an interviewer say "oh you took this class, that's good because that's what we do," but I have had an interviewer say "wow you did really well in this class" even though the class wasn't really what the firm did. My opinion is that employers generally care less about what courses you took and more about the gpa you got in those classes.

Really? I made this huge mistake during undergrad were I didn't research professors and I just enrolled in any course I found interesting or convenient. In LS I'll chose courses that maximizes the probability of attaining a decent GPA.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:It's also worth noting that any sort of graduation honors (latin or otherwise) are always worth more than specific courses. A high GPA is good, but latin honors are the kind of thing that gets listed in your bio for years.

So if you're on the cutoff between magna/cum laude and you fall just on the cum laude side, does it make a huge difference to employers? Like if magna = 3.72 and you're at a 3.70 compared to another candidate from the same school who has a 3.72, do they see you as merely 0.02 worse than the other candidate, or does the fact that the other candidate is magna add any more value on top of the raw 0.02 GPA difference?

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 pm

If you want to clerk for a judge, they will scrutinize your transcript -- including what classes you take. If you take too many fluff classes, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Employers generally vary in terms of what degree of scrutiny they give your classes taken. Balancing fluff seminars with practical experience -- think externships and clinics -- can certainly help smooth things over.

Finally, be wary of seminars. Ask other students, those who took that class with that professor, what the grading was like. I got burned a few times by seminars that everyone understood to be easy As. Everyone but the professor, that is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Take employment and employment discriination, but then load up on easy a's.

OP here

What about evidence? Its my understand that its pretty much needed for a litigator

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Green Crayons wrote:If you want to clerk for a judge, they will scrutinize your transcript -- including what classes you take. If you take too many fluff classes, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Employers generally vary in terms of what degree of scrutiny they give your classes taken. Balancing fluff seminars with practical experience -- think externships and clinics -- can certainly help smooth things over.

Finally, be wary of seminars. Ask other students, those who took that class with that professor, what the grading was like. I got burned a few times by seminars that everyone understood to be easy As. Everyone but the professor, that is.

OP here again, I'm going by published curves of a professor for that class / I signed up for seminars that SOUND legitimate (no Women's space law history) but have nice curves...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Take employment and employment discriination, but then load up on easy a's.

OP here

What about evidence? Its my understand that its pretty much needed for a litigator

You'll learn it for the bar anyway. Take it if you want. Maybe wait a bit. You want a mix of junk and real each semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here

You'll learn it for the bar anyway. Take it if you want. Maybe wait a bit. You want a mix of junk and real each semester.

Thanks... TENTATIVE plan:
4 semesters left, 2 required classes, employment / employment discrimination

Do journal or moot court / clinic and balance rest with seminars... insert 1 of 4 "Traditional" classes into each semester. Only having 1 final a semester sounds awesome. Take seminars that relate to litigation / employment

Return to “Legal Employment”