What's your biglaw end game?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's your biglaw end game?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm

When will you know it's time to walk? Have you set a minimum number of years, a minimum debt balance, a minimum savings amount? Or are you just in it to see what happens?

Personally, I think it's going to be a combination of financial stability and bad days/experiences. A sliding scale - the worse the experiences, or the more money, the less tethered I'll probably feel.

I think the ideal would be to start feeling out alternative options after 3-4 years and try to leave before 5-6, but I'm deeply unsure.

I've met many people who know they only plan to spend 2 years, and almost nobody who wants to be a lifer. Especially for people already on the ground, are you eyeing the exits? Planning to eye the exits?

Anonymous User

Re: What's your biglaw end game?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:26 pm

I am trying to hack it at least 3 years. Should have the loans paid off within 2. I figure this will give me a financial cushion and enough experience to go elsewhere if I don't like firm life or find myself encouraged to pursue other options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:43 pm

I feel like theres not planning you can even do except daydream. I mean you can choose a firm that gives you better exit options or is relevant to what you want to exit to, but besides that planning seems like waste of brainpower

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Stay for four years, saved up a ridiculous amount of $ for a down payment, paid off 70% of loans, and have a great in-house job waiting for me. With stock options. Stock options baby.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:55 pm

lol

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:12 pm

stay alive and work hard until I get pushed out (probably around years 4-6)

Return to “Legal Employment”