Help me quit my job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me quit my job

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 am

Recently got another job offer which I am going to take. How do I go about quitting my current position? Do I tell the senior attorney in my group or hr first? I was thinking my group so we can hash out exactly when my last day is...there is wiggle room on the start date of my new job and I am in the middle of some projects. Or do I just go to hr and tell them I'm out and bounce. The new job pays significantly more so the more time I wait the more money I'm missing out on. But is two weeks notice suggested even though we are at will?

Sheffield

Bronze

Re: Help me quit my job

Post by Sheffield » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:44 am

Interesting to see if the firm will ask for two weeks (or whatever) or hand you your hat upon your resignation.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:45 am

I certainly think a couple weeks is necessary and anything less would be in poor taste, and would be bad for your reputation. No need to burn any bridges. I'd talk to HR and then to your senior attorney so they can figure out how to best phase you out. I obviously haven't done this myself but when I was an SA a buddy of mine left the firm to go in-house and I think this is what he did. Just seems like a common sense approach.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:51 am

Unless there is some very pressing reason not to offer this time, it is probably best to offer two weeks notice in your letter of resignation.

If you have not been there very long, it may well not take that long to unwind your current projects, and it is unlikely you will be given new significant assignments after giving notice.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:11 am

(assuming you're at a firm) --

In person, to a partner, in the morning but not first thing in the morning. Be positive and emphasize that it's a great opportunity for you that you need to pursue instead of reflecting negatively at all on your experiences at the first job.

That will get the ball rolling. Your firm will have way more experience with departures than you, I wouldn't worry about the logistics in advance. Whatever they request of you, they have almost no leverage and they will know it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”