Asking for a Deadline Extension on an Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking for a Deadline Extension on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 pm

So I got an invitation by phone to interview with a firm for an SA spot on a Friday. Interview was the following Monday Afternoon. I was offered the job the next day and was asked to give my answer by Friday...i.e. less than a weeks turn around between interview call and dead line to accept job. I'm still waiting to hear back from a number of other places so I'd really like to ask for an extension but they seem to be really pushing the fast response? What's the SOP here?

Somewhat related issue: Should I be concerned that they're pushing for such a fast turn around? FWIW, I'm somewhat "over-qualified" for the job given my school, g.p.a, past work etc but it's still a job I'm interested in.

Anonymous User

Re: Asking for a Deadline Extension on an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 pm

well, I think the relevant question here is "do you have a job?" Because if you don't, the chances that something better is going to materialize at this time of year are slim to none.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Asking for a Deadline Extension on an Offer

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:28 am

Yeah, honestly it's a bit strange to say you're "overqualified" for a job you've been offered in mid-April.

It may be a bit unusual for them to be demanding such a quick turnaround, depending on the kind of office it is, but then again it may also be a bit unusual for them to be still filling the position this late in the year. I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth here.

Return to “Legal Employment”