Screener A Week Ago - Should I Follow Up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Screener A Week Ago - Should I Follow Up?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:54 pm

I had a screener interview for a post-graduate position in a regional office of an NLJ250 firm last Thursday. I thought the interview went really well and that there was a connection between me and the interviewer. He went into great detail about the hiring process after the screener interview (which I took to be a very good sign) and he told me they were looking to fill the position by the end of May. I took that to mean that they would get back to me very soon.

The only other thing I have heard from the firm since the interview was an email from the HR person asking me about my bar status in the state where the office is located.

Would it be in bad taste to at least follow up with the HR person to express continuing interest in the position, or should I just assume a ding given the lack of response and quick turnaround for filling this position?

Anonymous User

Re: Screener A Week Ago - Should I Follow Up?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:28 pm

You can do it but in my experience the silence means one of two things: they're not picking you or the process is taking longer than they thought.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks. I guess I should expect a ding or no response at all. Sigh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I've had a rolling callback before and have talked to attorneys on hiring committees that have confirmed they're a thing.

Silence probably means you weren't their first choice, but you're essentially on a waitlist.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Do not follow up. You cannot divine anything from the wait.

Sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast, and MOST of the time it has to do with the schedule of the attorneys and staff involved in the selection process and not what they thought about you.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:20 am

thesealocust wrote:Do not follow up. You cannot divine anything from the wait.

Sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast, and MOST of the time it has to do with the schedule of the attorneys and staff involved in the selection process and not what they thought about you.

I agree with the second part (end of May is a very long time away in this context).

If the statment not to follow up was meant because it is useless, I agree If it was suggesting it would be bad, I disagree. As long as you aren't a pest or sounding desperate, a quick inquiry to save your sanity isn't a big deal. I'd wait another week though.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 am

TooOld4This wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Do not follow up. You cannot divine anything from the wait.

I agree with the second part (end of May is a very long time away in this context).

If the statment not to follow up was meant because it is useless, I agree If it was suggesting it would be bad, I disagree. As long as you aren't a pest or sounding desperate, a quick inquiry to save your sanity isn't a big deal. I'd wait another week though.

Definitely just that it would be useless. I'm sure being mildly neurotic can't be held against you, otherwise firms would have nobody to hire ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Welp doods I got the callback offer via email. So glad I didn't go all OCD and email them prematurely.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Welp doods I got the callback offer via email. So glad I didn't go all OCD and email them prematurely.

Congrats. Basically everyone feels the same-- just stay cool in these situations.

Return to “Legal Employment”