3L: Which job should I take? (deadline soon)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which position

One year in-house fellowship (100k, NYC)- Bird in Hand
90%
Two positions in the bush
10%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

3L: Which job should I take? (deadline soon)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 am

Hey all:

3L at CCN. A disability screwed up my first 2L SA (had seizures at work), my second firm fell apart after giving me an offer. I currently am in trouble. I have the following three options, I am trying to decide what to do:

1. I just received an offer for a 100k one-year corporate fellowship position with a F-500 company in-house in NY. I have less than a week to decide. The fellowship will be awesome. The people are great. I have a unique background which qualifies me to help them with regulatory issues, and the position will be (35%) regulatory compliance and (65%) policy.

2. I interviewed with another F-500 company for a long-term in-house position. Pay starts at 65k, and moves up to market by year 5. It has been 5 weeks since my interview. I spoke with my interviewer/team lead, and he said he recommended me for an offer, and that they should be getting back to me soon after the GC reviews his recommendation.

3. I recently interviewed with a top investment bank for a legal position in London. A GC friend of mine at another I-Bank recommended me to the GC of this investment bank. The GC is going to take me back to the office to meet with the rest of their team soon. He said that they would take me or nobody. They basically have a complex legal problem resulting from a group of companies they bought. They will "try me out" on this issue for a year, and if I do well, graduate me to a member of their small, small team. Long-term this would likely have the option of transitioning into and I-banking and law amalgamation.

What should I do? I worry that the first position won't let me get into biglaw afterwards. I'm worried if I dump the first position, they second two won't materialize.

Which one would you guys take?

TTH

Re: 3L: Which job should I take? (deadline soon)

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 am

Does your contact at number two know that you're on a one-week deadline at job number one? If not, you need to tell him, and if they don't get back to you in time, take number one. Bird in the hand, bro.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am

TTH wrote:Does your contact at number two know that you're on a one-week deadline at job number one? If not, you need to tell him, and if they don't get back to you in time, take number one. Bird in the hand, bro.

This

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:14 am

TTH wrote:Does your contact at number two know that you're on a one-week deadline at job number one? If not, you need to tell him, and if they don't get back to you in time, take number one. Bird in the hand, bro.

No, not yet. I have kept in contact, but didn't want to keep pushing him unreasonably, as if I do take the job, he'll be my boss. I guess this is bad reasoning. I'll write him right now.

What about the third job? I can't really push the GC, and he has said he is going to do all he can to get this figured out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:16 am

northwood wrote:

This

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:32 am

rad lulz wrote:
northwood wrote:

This

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Well, saying there is no deadline, which one would you bros take?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, saying there is no deadline, which one would you bros take?

2 because it is the only one that is a permanent position

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm

How bad would the fallout be if you took 1, kept looking, and then reneged if a permanent offer materialized?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:45 pm

bk1 wrote:How bad would the fallout be if you took 1, kept looking, and then reneged if a permanent offer materialized?

Only that I would be going to hell... Seriously, I don't think there would be a huge deal, but I would feel horrible about it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:How bad would the fallout be if you took 1, kept looking, and then reneged if a permanent offer materialized?

Only that I would be going to hell... Seriously, I don't think there would be a huge deal, but I would feel horrible about it.

I'd do that to cover your bases. It deals with all your worries at the mere cost of some guilt.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd do that to cover your bases. It deals with all your worries at the mere cost of some guilt.

to be fair the first job is only good for one year, so OP will be using the end of the job period to apply for jobs again. I mean, yea its not the best precedent to set, but I'd rather have a job and guilt than have no job and no guilt

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I do not understand why you think your first position will not lead you to biglaw but your second might/will.

In any case, I would probably accept the first job. Also, how is your GPA? Can you clerk? The first position would be great if you could make 100k that year, apply to clerkships, get one, and then try and jump to biglaw...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Pokemon wrote:I do not understand why you think your first position will not lead you to biglaw but your second might/will.

In any case, I would probably accept the first job. Also, how is your GPA? Can you clerk? The first position would be great if you could make 100k that year, apply to clerkships, get one, and then try and jump to biglaw...

I guess I figured that #1 has a pretty specific area of focus which will good w/e for a big firm. It also is a competitive fellowship, so it doesn't look like I struck out or something in biglaw.

In-house positions generally don't lead back to big firms (am I wrong?) I also don't plan to go back to biglaw if I have a decent inhouse position.

I am going to apply to clerk as well. I am above median at CCN, below honors. No journal experience. Good work experience. Specialty knowledge in an area that could be significant to a judge. I hope for a State Supreme Court, District Court in flyover area, or an appellate staff attorney position. I think I am competitive, but am not counting on it.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:43 pm

I thought you said that you were worried that the first position will not lead you to biglaw, when in fact, it seems to me that of the three positions, it is the one more likely to give you another chance.
I am only a 2L, but to me the first position seems like the best choice for now. Btw, when you say you are above median, you mean you are above the inflated 3L median? Correct?
I hear so many 3Ls saying that they are above median and have no idea where they get that info considering the inflation post-1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Pokemon wrote:I thought you said that you were worried that the first position will not lead you to biglaw, when in fact, it seems to me that of the three positions, it is the one more likely to give you another chance.
I am only a 2L, but to me the first position seems like the best choice for now. Btw, when you say you are above median, you mean you are above the inflated 3L median? Correct?
I hear so many 3Ls saying that they are above median and have no idea where they get that info considering the inflation post-1L.

The other two will leave me fine without big law. The first will not, as it is one year.

In terms of the median, I've been above median each year. I think that is why they relax the curve post-1L. They want as many kids as possible being eligible. I don't think it is a bit deal though, top kids drop as well due to obligations of LR, and lack of motivation. People converge. Who cares? I don't think judges or employers do

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm

This. Permanent would be great, but definite beats permanent but unsure.

I wouldn't build a strategy around reneging. It's not like these are unpaid internships or research assistant jobs or something - I think you have to act like you're at the big kids' table at this point. Hell aside, reneging is not professional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:

This. Permanent would be great, but definite beats permanent but unsure.

I wouldn't build a strategy around reneging. It's not like these are unpaid internships or research assistant jobs or something - I think you have to act like you're at the big kids' table at this point. Hell aside, reneging is not professional.

Good point. I don't really want to start my career off messing someone over.

Does option 3 seem good to anyone? Get paid like 40k or something school-teacher-ish, if I do well I get a foot in the door into I-banking? I would be on a better-than-biglaw pay scale if I survive.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Option 3 seems incredibly risky... btw, seeing that you seem willing to move outside of law, if I was in your position and took option 1, I would also use that year to apply to consulting firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Pokemon wrote:Option 3 seems incredibly risky... btw, seeing that you seem willing to move outside of law, if I was in your position and took option 1, I would also use that year to apply to consulting firms.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the process-- do management consulting firms take post-3Ls from CCN?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Option 3 seems incredibly risky... btw, seeing that you seem willing to move outside of law, if I was in your position and took option 1, I would also use that year to apply to consulting firms.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the process-- do management consulting firms take post-3Ls from CCN?

It is not usual, but considering that your fellowship would be a one-year thing, they will most likely treat it in a similar way that they treat PhD postdocs. This is not something that I know, just something to consider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Cool. I'll have to look into that. If I knew that the fellowship would lead to steady work, I would take it in a heartbeat-- it would be a lot of fun and great experience.

Part of me is itching to role the dice though, how awesome would it be to go from my firm falling apart to I-banking and law. It would be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJoxGpEswOI.

Return to “Legal Employment”