1L Summer Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi,

1L here. Not from a T30. I am essentially a noob here so please bear with me.

I have no legal experience. I am trying to get into patent litigation/IP law. Getting IP work as a 1L was tough so I applied to the DA offices in my area just to get some experience. I wound up getting two that appealed to me-- the OCDA and Los Angeles DA.

I have already accepted the OCDA's offer and now I don't know if I should request to split time between the two offices or just do full-time with OCDA. (I may also be doing so remote writing for an IP firm but that's not a 100% thing yet.)

So what should I do? Thanks for the (kind) help.

philosoraptor

Re: 1L Summer Advice

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I can't imagine why this would matter, particularly given your IP-related goals. Just get some solid legal experience your 1L summer, and until then, focus on grades.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 pm

philosoraptor wrote:I can't imagine why this would matter, particularly given your IP-related goals. Just get some solid legal experience your 1L summer, and until then, focus on grades.

OP here:

Well, I wasn't sure if it would look good that I was hired at the LA DA and I also wasn't sure if I should do it to pack my bare resume. Furthermore, I am worried about the quality of my experience if I split my time. Also, my "back-up" is prosecution.

Return to “Legal Employment”