Reneging on an SA Job Acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on an SA Job Acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 pm

So how not cool is it to unaccept an SA offer from a firm? Would a SUBSTANTIALLY better opportunity make it a little more ok or would you pretty much ruin your reputation in the legal market?

Would it make a difference if the firm were small/in a different city than you plan on targeting etc?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Reneging on an SA Job Acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So how not cool is to unaccept an SA offer from a firm? Would a SUBSTANTIALLY better opportunity make it a little more ok or would you pretty much ruin your reputation in the legal market?

Would it make a difference if the firm were small/in a different city than you plan on targeting etc?

I have no special expertise on this matter except I have read the many previous threads that ask the same question. The consensus seems to be that you should look out for number one and not feel bound except to the extent that reneging in the same market, or a market to which you hope to lateral later, might tarnish your reputation in that legal community. Most say that just feeling bad about upsetting the firm or your CSO is not sufficient to forgo the superior career opportunity. Might be different if you got the first job through relationships that are important to you (Professor etc.).

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So how not cool is to unaccept an SA offer from a firm? Would a SUBSTANTIALLY better opportunity make it a little more ok or would you pretty much ruin your reputation in the legal market?

I asked my OCI person this question. Reneging on a judge. Reneging on a firm. She said that honestly, you can do either and it may make sense to do either, but make sure you are thinking of the future (ex. will I be in front of this judge? will I be working with this firm (or this office of a big firm)?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I asked my OCI person this question. Reneging on a judge. Reneging on a firm. She said that honestly, you can do either and it may make sense to do either, but make sure you are thinking of the future (ex. will I be in front of this judge? will I be working with this firm (or this office of a big firm)?

I think if you analyze the expected value, reneging will almost always be better by a ridiculous margin.
For example, assume the better firm pays an extra $10k a year. Compare that with a momentary uncomfortable conversation, a .5% chance that you'll appear in front of the judge (although of course it depends on location, practice area, etc.) and a 5% chance that you'll work with that firm but almost no chance that it will affect your dealings with them. It's obvious that it's not the reputation that's the issue, it's the momentary discomfort. Suck it up and cash in.

Return to “Legal Employment”