This Summer is Going to Suck

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: This Summer is Going to Suck

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:what is the ideal? are you trying to come off as a really smart and professional bro, or supremely confident aggressive?

Try to act like a normal human and stop stressing over Qs like these

does anyone have like a shot if they get nervous? alcohol shot.

Yeah I've actually got a leather wrapped, monogramed flask I take into interviews. It matches my resume portfolio.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:OP, what are you doing the first half of the summer, and how did you get that gig?

First half is with a local midlaw firm specializing in real estate litigation. Got the job through my first massmail immediately after OCI.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 pm

OP what markets did you target, anything with ties?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:what do you talk about interviews?

Depends on what the position is

160k. standard.

Shoot the shit. Talk about what you want to do. Talk about stuff you like at their firm. Ask them some decent questions. Be a normal human. It isn't rocket science.

Firm interviews are easy

Shit I've had more challenging interviews for unpaid internships.

Not to be a dick, but weren't you all over Vale of Tears? "Firm interviews are easy"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Nelson wrote:Knowing what market(s) OP bid on would be helpful.

Unfortunately, I'm at the only T20 school in the market. I would totally out myself if I told.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Honestly, I know it sounds hoky, but you have to be yourself at interviews. I mean, your best, politest, most on-the-ball self, but people can't completely transform their personalities just for an interview, and if you try, it's not going to go over well. (Unless you're a really really really good actor, maybe.)

Also, I really don't think you have to come across as aggressive to all opposing parties to be perceived as being a good candidate for litigation. (The first words people always use to describe me are "nice" and "sweet" and I'm doing litigation.) For one thing, the most pertinent skills for associates are research and writing.

ETA: Did you not have to interview for the midlaw gig? And why are you only doing half a summer with them?
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 pm

re: interview attitude - confidence and realistic self evaluation can co-exist. You can be eager to apply yourself to new work while completely aware of the fact that you know two-shits about the practice of law, you know?

A little bit of "I apply myself and have talent, I am eager for the next challenge" probably goes well. But even a hint of "I have accomplished X, Y and Z arbitrary tasks thus I deserve a job and you should give it to me" - not so much.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm at the only T20 school in the market. I would totally out myself if I told.

Based on the fact that he's splitting his summer and the above - I've gotta guess Texas.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

so you targeted your schools local market? Or did you bid on random markets?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to be a dick, but weren't you all over Vale of Tears? "Firm interviews are easy"?

Had plenty of 2L OCI offers but got no-offered braj

Apologies then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Local and nearby markets that I have ties to.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Uwash?

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Well, everyone is saying just be yourself, but clearly as OP has indicated that's not sufficient. It's like "do the best you can" on tests. That's not really useful advice. Maybe this a lesson that grades are just part 1 and that first summer should just be about practicing interviews and light legal work. Whether that be get in the best shape of your life or take conversation classes, it seems just as important as the grades.

The whole networking thing is true, but the whole point of going to a TLS is for OGI. That's the benefit. It's the getting a great job with minimal hustle.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Well, everyone is saying just be yourself, but clearly as OP has indicated that's not sufficient. It's like "do the best you can" on tests. That's not really useful advice. Maybe this a lesson that grades are just part 1 and that first summer should just be about practicing interviews and light legal work. Whether that be get in the best shape of your life or take conversation classes, it seems just as important as the grades.

The whole networking thing is true, but the whole point of going to a TLS is for OGI. That's the benefit. It's the getting a great job with minimal hustle.

Dude chill out. No one can tell you how to be a normal person on the internet. Just be personable and do your school's model interviews before OCI. OP's issue in all likelihood has little to do with his interview and a lot to do with secondary legal markets sucking.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Nelson wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:Well, everyone is saying just be yourself, but clearly as OP has indicated that's not sufficient. It's like "do the best you can" on tests. That's not really useful advice. Maybe this a lesson that grades are just part 1 and that first summer should just be about practicing interviews and light legal work. Whether that be get in the best shape of your life or take conversation classes, it seems just as important as the grades.

Dude chill out. No one can tell you how to be a normal person on the internet. Just be personable and do your school's model interviews before OCI. OP's issue in all likelihood has little to do with his interview and a lot to do with secondary legal markets sucking.

I'm already normal, but it is a big deal. Offer vs. no offer is worth millions of dollars. Grades seem no more in a person's control than being a great interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Not OP -- but confused how people would call flame. I was close to top 10% at a T10, average interviewer, and only had 4 callbacks. Somehow converted them well, but came very close. I know people with better grades than me who struck out (even people with ties to secondary markets who diversified their bids). ITE means ITE.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Hey OP,
Sorry about your predicament. Your law school credentials are excellent, as you have explained nicely. I think your last good shot is to make sure you land a solid clerkship. Usually, clerking is not the way to go to land biglaw if you're not able to through OCI, but that is usually because people who resort to that don't have the numbers in the first place for biglaw, but you do. So it seems like post-clerkship would be a somewhat viable option for you. I mean, what else have you got, besides that and networking?
In the meantime, something has gone seriously wrong, and you need some realistic introspection. I mean something concrete went wrong, and it's not just bad luck. So you must figure that out. Common culprits might be way below average interviewing skills, really poor bidding, giving off a vibe of entitlement, really poor application docs, or really late timing. I can't possibly think what else it could be, because everything else seems solid.
Are you in a hyper-competitive market?
If I were you, I'd talk to like 5 different people you respect and get their honest feedback so that you can fix whatever went wrong. You seem too smart, hard-working, and gunnery (in a good way) for this to just be bad luck.
Hope it works out!

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP -- but confused how people would call flame. I was close to top 10% at a T10, average interviewer, and only had 4 callbacks. Somehow converted them well, but came very close. I know people with better grades than me who struck out (even people with ties to secondary markets who diversified their bids). ITE means ITE.

but somehow these top 10s are getting 50% of their grads jobs through OGI.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP -- but confused how people would call flame. I was close to top 10% at a T10, average interviewer, and only had 4 callbacks. Somehow converted them well, but came very close. I know people with better grades than me who struck out (even people with ties to secondary markets who diversified their bids). ITE means ITE.

I believe it. OP keep your chin up. I have a feeling something will work out. It is a buyers market at the end of the day, so even top grades may not be enough without networking, inside connections, recommenders reaching out, and some luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Not understanding how this is inconsistent with my post.

I'll leave it to someone else to post the pre-2008 stats.

- 11:25

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Well, it's not 4 callbacks is a lot. That's multiple offers normally, no? Aren't the call backs you're in if you don't mess up?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:Well, it's not 4 callbacks is a lot. That's multiple offers normally, no? Aren't the call backs you're in if you don't mess up?

Depends on the firm, but generally no.

SullCrom offers like everyone they CB

DPW like 3 CBs/1 offer

2ndary market firms may call back like 15-20 people for 2 jobs

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Well, it's not 4 callbacks is a lot. That's multiple offers normally, no? Aren't the call backs you're in if you don't mess up?

dude, i've heard of 10 CB's and no offers before. 4 CBs is far from any guarantee.

Return to “Legal Employment”