This Summer is Going to Suck Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Re: This Summer is Going to Suck

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 am

rad lulz wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:Well, it's not 4 callbacks is a lot. That's multiple offers normally, no? Aren't the call backs you're in if you don't mess up?
Depends on the firm, but generally no.

SullCrom offers like everyone they CB

DPW like 3 CBs/1 offer

2ndary market firms may call back like 15-20 people for 2 jobs
on this note do you know why the # of sullivan and cromwells who got offered f/t jobs were only like 50-some odd % of SA's? it was shockingly low for a top firm, and made me think even if one were lucky enough to get s&c, it may make sense to pass if they get a lower firm.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:Well, it's not 4 callbacks is a lot. That's multiple offers normally, no? Aren't the call backs you're in if you don't mess up?

DPW like 3 CBs/1 offer

on this note do you know why the # of sullivan and cromwells who got offered f/t jobs were only like 50-some odd % of SA's? it was shockingly low for a top firm, and made me think even if one were lucky enough to get s&c, it may make sense to pass if they get a lower firm.
S&C makes offers to 100%, or damn near 100%, of its summer class every year. You're thinking of the wrong firm.

Also, I award you 3 bonus points for "sullivan and cromwells" and an extra 1 bonus point for "makes sense to pass if they get a lower firm." You may redeem your bonus points for cash and prizes where not prohibited by local law.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 am

thesealocust wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

DPW like 3 CBs/1 offer

S&C makes offers to 100%, or damn near 100%, of its summer class every year. You're thinking of the wrong firm.

Also, I award you 3 bonus points for "sullivan and cromwells" and an extra 1 bonus point for "makes sense to pass if they get a lower firm." You may redeem your bonus points for cash and prizes where not prohibited by local law.
It's an honor to win, but I got to be honest with you. I didn't even know I was playing. Shout out to South Beach. Stay in school, Takisha!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 am

thesealocust wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote: on this note do you know why the # of sullivan and cromwells who got offered f/t jobs were only like 50-some odd % of SA's? it was shockingly low for a top firm, and made me think even if one were lucky enough to get s&c, it may make sense to pass if they get a lower firm.

It's an honor to win, but I got to be honest with you. I didn't even know I was playing. Shout out to South Beach. Stay in school, Takisha!
no one knows they're playing until they win.

it's that kind of game.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:30 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to be a dick, but weren't you all over Vale of Tears? "Firm interviews are easy"?
Had plenty of 2L OCI offers but got no-offered braj
what did you do?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to be a dick, but weren't you all over Vale of Tears? "Firm interviews are easy"?
what did you do?
Got another job?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am

rad lulz wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
what did you do?
Got another job?
i think he meant to to get no-offered.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 am

rad lulz wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
what did you do?
Got another job?
why did you get no-offered?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 am

Blessedassurance wrote: why did you get no-offered? circumstances outside your control?
If you've read the whole Vale thread and the whole "No offered SA - FML" thread it's in there somewhere as an anon poast

I'm not gonna rehash it here

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 am

rad lulz wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote: why did you get no-offered? circumstances outside your control?
If you've read the whole Vale thread and the whole "No offered SA - FML" thread it's in there somewhere as an anon poast

give 5-page range. it's 36 pages. I'm merely wondering if it was due to external factors or something within your control (work product etc)

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

give 5-page range. it's 36 pages. I'm merely wondering if it was due to external factors or something within your control (work product etc)

... :| Just stop.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 am

rad lulz wrote:

If I remember correctly.. this wasn't at a true biglaw firm, right?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 am

Bikeflip wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

... :| Just stop.
srsly, bro, just stop. pm at least...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 am

what's your problem, man...can you let him answer the question? why can't you let him tell me if it's inappropriate? do you have a burning desire to interject? is that it?

i'm not gonna pm him, that's gonna out him...i'd rather get a range of pages so i don't know who he is.

eta: in fact never mind, sorry i asked.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 am

If you're really worried about what makes people get no-offered, go look at the whole thread, since rad is hardly the only person it's happened to.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:18 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 am

rad lulz wrote:It seems like the only reason you d00dz keep asking is to satisfy your own curiosity by linking my poast/work history with my username. Then, if it's work product, you'll ask me a bunch of follow-up questions about "what projects u fuck up," which I won't respond to. If it's economics, you'll beg me to "out the TTT," which I won't do either. So no, I'm not gonna narrow it down for you.

If you just want a story, my story and a bunch of other ones are in those threads.

Knock yourselves out bros
fair point. but i actually don't wanna link anything, or know who you are. i don't do that. i was just trying to find out possible ways to get no-offered. frankly, i've never understood people's obsession with knowing who is who, and all that "outting" crap, but it's whatever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:27 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you're really worried about what makes people get no-offered, go look at the whole thread, since rad is hardly the only person it's happened to.
also fair

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:27 am

It seems obvious why you'd get no offered; same reasons you'd get fired.

Unless it's a firm that isn't planning to make 100% offers.

Idk it seems like if you take it really seriously, engage everyone you meet and put on your shit eating lips, it'd be solid at most large firms. At least from above the law articles.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:It seems obvious why you'd get no offered; same reasons you'd get fired.

Idk it seems like if you take it really seriously, engage everyone you meet and put on your shit eating lips, it'd be solid at most large firms. At least from above the law articles.

FWIW that's not necessarily true. I got no offered due to a gpa drop after the firm made the SA offer. When the firm asked for transcript updates after the program was over...cold shoulder. Probably should have gone to them about the gpa on my own earlier in the summer but I got some shitty advice from cso to not tell them and "let my work product speak for itself"...yeah that worked out real well.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:It seems obvious why you'd get no offered; same reasons you'd get fired.

Dude, you go on thinking it could never happen to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 am

that's if the economy doesn't tank.

hell, i think 90% of no-offers are at least tangentially affected by the economy, anyway.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW that's not necessarily true. I got no offered due to a gpa drop after the firm made the SA offer. When the firm asked for transcript updates after the program was over...cold shoulder. Probably should have gone to them about the gpa on my own earlier in the summer but I got some shitty advice from cso to not tell them and "let my work product speak for itself"...yeah that worked out real well.
fuck...this is legitly scary.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Dude, you go on thinking it could never happen to you.
Basically this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 am

People get no-offered at my firm simply because the hiring partner gets too many SAs who accept offers. What most people don't realize is that firms are guessing at how many people will accept their offers because most firms don't have super high yield rates. For my summer class, everyone on the hiring committee knew that one of us was not going to make it from the beginning of the summer because we had one more person above the absolute limit of how many SAs they had wanted to hire. After that, it comes down to work product quality and purely economic considerations: does the person have credentials that will add value to the firm, does the person want to be in a practice area that is booming or slow, etc. In order to be no-offered for "fit" or personality, you have to be a real mouth-breather. But, then again, judging from some of the aspies on this site, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some people who regularly post on here who got no offered because they are completely fucking annoying and most regular people wouldn't be able to stand talking to them for 10 minutes, let alone working with them for a few years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”