(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Re: Law Schools with highest unemployment

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm

If you go to the ABA Reports from Law School Transparency, you can see that these unemployment rates are calculated by taking the category "Unemployed - Seeking" and dividing by the total number of students in the class.

So, to use an example, Thomas Jefferson had a class of 260 students graduate in 2012. As of February 2013, 82 of them are classified as "Unemployed - Seeking."

82/260 = .315, or 31.5%

This is the number reported in the Above the Law piece.

In many ways, this is a terrible way to do this. Schools that play around with "Seeking vs. Not-Seeking" benefit from this calculation, as do schools with low reporting rates as "Employment Status Unknown" is NOT counted as "Unemployed" for the purpose of this statistic. Finally, anyone with a short-term part-time job at Starbucks is employed for the purpose of this statistic (it's ONLY looking at "Unemployed - Seeking").

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:04 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:If you go to the ABA Reports from Law School Transparency, you can see that these unemployment rates are calculated by taking the category "Unemployed - Seeking" and dividing by the total number of students in the class.

So, to use an example, Thomas Jefferson had a class of 260 students graduate in 2012. As of February 2013, 82 of them are classified as "Unemployed - Seeking."

82/260 = .315, or 31.5%

This is the number reported in the Above the Law piece.

In many ways, this is a terrible way to do this. Schools that play around with "Seeking vs. Not-Seeking" benefit from this calculation, as do schools with low reporting rates as "Employment Status Unknown" is NOT counted as "Unemployed" for the purpose of this statistic. Finally, anyone with a short-term part-time job at Starbucks is employed for the purpose of this statistic (it's ONLY looking at "Unemployed - Seeking").

TITCR. Can confirm my TTT is at 40ish% for full-time, JD reqd jobs, and it didn't even make that unemployed list. So yeah, that unemployed list isn't taking into account these important differentiating factors.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm

ajax adonis wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-law-schools-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates/

6 of those schools are in California. Am I missing something, though? Even though the stats are very low, they're not as low as I'd expect. For example, I know five or six people from Whittier (from around the area), and they're all unemployed except ONE. But the employment rate puts the school at around 23%. How is this possible? I would've expected it at maybe 10% or 15% at highest?

Is it because the employment rate of 23% includes all Home Depot and baristas? Is there a percentage out there that actually has only LEGAL jobs? I have read lots of threads and stats, but I just needed to make this clear for myself and maybe others out there. Why aren't schools like Whittier's stats not even lower?

Reading comprehension fail? The article you linked is citing the unemployment rate at 23%, meaning 77% are employed 9 months out. As others have pointed out, this is still highly misleading. But estimating 15% at the highest? It's not that bad.

Also, how have you been here for so long and not discovered LST? http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars
Looks like about 40% land actual legal jobs. Your friends just seem to be an unusually scrubish bunch, even for a TTTT.

Return to “Legal Employment”