minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Are these pants "business casual" and are they appropriate for an SA to wear this summer?

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4360393&parentPage=family

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:11 pm

I'd never pay $80 plus S&H for those, but if it's your style, no one will rag on you for showing up wearing them. Ditch the polo for a button-down though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Ok thanks, they came out to more like $50 with coupons...just wanted to make sure they're ok

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok thanks, they came out to more like $50 with coupons...just wanted to make sure they're ok

On second thought, I'd probably not buy them. At least not for myself. They're a little old-man ish and baggy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm

That's what I was thinking too...I can still return them.

Do you have khaki-type dress pants for the summer? Where'd you get yours from/which do you recommend?

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

If you want to get away with having fewer pants and shirts, then you should probably wear pants and shirts that are relatively plain and don't attract attention (it seems unlikely that anyone would remember on Friday that you wore a white button down on Tuesday or realize that it's the same shirt). When in doubt, err on the side of having too many clothes, since this summer will determine your entire legal career...

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Sounds fine for now, no need to buy extra stuff. I'm sure wherever you are working this summer there will be a store that sells men's dress shirts if you find you need a bigger rotation.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's what I was thinking too...I can still return them.

Do you have khaki-type dress pants for the summer? Where'd you get yours from/which do you recommend?

Check out Kohls, TJMaxx and (perfectly fine for a pair or two) Dockers to pick up the stuff at the beginning. You should be able to get some non-baggy, non-pleated front slacks that are respectable to tide you over until your first payday. It will definitely take some time to dig through the piles of (mostly) terrible clothes that may not fit you, but you'll be able to find stuff that's nice enough for a week or two of work without breaking the bank.

When your first paycheck comes in, go buy some nicer stuff if you'd like from Banana Republic or J. Crew. Or just get more (nice) stuff from the bargain stores.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Pufer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have 1 suit, 1 blazer, 3 wool slacks, 3 white shirts, 2 patterned dress shirts, and black shoes. Sufficient?


Sufficient, but I'd worry about them noticing that you're wearing the patterned shirts once per week. I'd add in a couple light blue shirts and only occasionally slip in the patterned ones.

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

Are reversible slacks okay for big law?

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes ... oduct.html

The way I figure it's like getting pants for $17.50!!


I'm assuming that you're trolling, but even if those were reversible pants rather than un-reversible pants with reverse pleats, don't get reversible pants.

hookem14 wrote:Let's start with the fact that pleats are never acceptable.


Pleated pants aren't any worse than any other kind of pants, it's just that most OTR pleated pants are far too big for folks and nobody gets that shit tailored. Properly tailored, a pleated pair of pants should cut the same line as flat fronts when you're just standing there.

patrickd139 wrote:Check out Kohls, TJMaxx and (perfectly fine for a pair or two) Dockers to pick up the stuff at the beginning. You should be able to get some non-baggy, non-pleated front slacks that are respectable to tide you over until your first payday. It will definitely take some time to dig through the piles of (mostly) terrible clothes that may not fit you, but you'll be able to find stuff that's nice enough for a week or two of work without breaking the bank.

When your first paycheck comes in, go buy some nicer stuff if you'd like from Banana Republic or J. Crew. Or just get more (nice) stuff from the bargain stores.


TJMaxx/Marshalls/Ross is, indeed, a solid choice for starter pants (i.e., everything you'll need for business casual in law school). After that, discounted proper trousers are going to be comparable in price to any OTR stuff you're going to get. Once you got money, start getting proper pants and getting them tailored. Skip the middle-class of BR or J. Crew because you're getting a lesser product/fit without saving much money.

-Pufer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 pm

1) Is a blazer mandatory?

2) Will three pairs of pants get me through the summer?

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby target » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:1) Is a blazer mandatory?

2) Will three pairs of pants get me through the summer?


I was thinking about buying a blazer too, so I would love to hear what others think about the first question. How's about a blazer/sport coat hybrid?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 am

You know you don't have to own every article of clothing you'll wear as an SA at the beginning of your SA, right? You have a fine start. Add as needed.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:13 am

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) Is a blazer mandatory?

2) Will three pairs of pants get me through the summer?


I was thinking about buying a blazer too, so I would love to hear what others think about the first question. How's about a blazer/sport coat hybrid?

Don't really know when you'd ever need to wear a blazer. Maybe if you're in Texas or something but in NYC seems to me like it's pretty much either suit or slacks/shirt.

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) Is a blazer mandatory?

2) Will three pairs of pants get me through the summer?


I was thinking about buying a blazer too, so I would love to hear what others think about the first question. How's about a blazer/sport coat hybrid?

Don't really know when you'd ever need to wear a blazer. Maybe if you're in Texas or something but in NYC seems to me like it's pretty much either suit or slacks/shirt.


A black blazer is a solid addition to a wardrobe and works well with a buttoned up shirt (no tie) and slacks/khakis for a business casual event. (Because it's black, preferably at night/late afternoon).

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) Is a blazer mandatory?

2) Will three pairs of pants get me through the summer?


I was thinking about buying a blazer too, so I would love to hear what others think about the first question. How's about a blazer/sport coat hybrid?

Don't really know when you'd ever need to wear a blazer. Maybe if you're in Texas or something but in NYC seems to me like it's pretty much either suit or slacks/shirt.


A black blazer is a solid addition to a wardrobe and works well with a buttoned up shirt (no tie) and slacks/khakis for a business casual event. (Because it's black, preferably at night/late afternoon).

Even better than a black blazer is a solid, dark navy blazer with two tactful brass buttons.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Pufer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 am

I have never attended any legal or office event where a blazer or sport coat would be more appropriate than a suit. If you have such a garment, there are occasions when you might wear it. If you don't have such a garment, there's no need to pick one up (unless you really want one, of course).

-Pufer

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 am

I'd get three wool slacks - charcoal, navy, light gray

I'd get 5 dress shirts that aren't white (you probably have one white, and white looks weird by itself).

And two pairs of business casual shoes, probably different colors.

You can mix and match that 30 different ways.

1 suit should be fine.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 am

Pufer wrote:I have never attended any legal or office event where a blazer or sport coat would be more appropriate than a suit. If you have such a garment, there are occasions when you might wear it. If you don't have such a garment, there's no need to pick one up (unless you really want one, of course).

-Pufer

My firm has a country club summer event where a blazer and khakis would be most appropriate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 am

I need to acquire a few pairs of wool slacks for my upcoming SA. Can anyone recommend a few good, reasonably-priced stores to start my search in, preferably one that has locations in NYC (ex: no Nordstrom, Saks Off 5th, etc.)? If it makes a difference, I'm a pretty skinny dude and prefer flat front, slim-fit slacks.

Alternatively: most of my extant slacks are part/all synthetic (polyester). Would it be a major faux pas if I wore them into work?

idelosix
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby idelosix » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I need to acquire a few pairs of wool slacks for my upcoming SA. Can anyone recommend a few good, reasonably-priced stores to start my search in, preferably one that has locations in NYC (ex: no Nordstrom, Saks Off 5th, etc.)? If it makes a difference, I'm a pretty skinny dude and prefer flat front, slim-fit slacks.

Alternatively: most of my extant slacks are part/all synthetic (polyester). Would it be a major faux pas if I wore them into work?


Assuming you're in NYC, there's a Nordstrom's Rack at Union Square that has a decent selection. Also, for Saks off 5th/Last Call/(bloomingdale's equivalent) you can get a very easy bus from the GWB bus terminal to the outlets in Bergen. Also a jcrew and br outlet there. and no sales tax.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby dood » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have 1 suit, 1 blazer, 3 wool slacks, 3 white shirts, 2 patterned dress shirts, and black shoes. Sufficient?


yeah

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Even better than a black blazer is a solid, dark navy blazer with two tactful brass buttons.


This is true. The only reason I say black is most people have a dark navy suit; and almost any time you'd need a navy blazer you can just use the suit jacket (buttons may not be the same, but it seems silly to buy a nice blazer just for the buttons when OP is trying to stay w/in budget)

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Pufer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 pm

IAFG wrote:My firm has a country club summer event where a blazer and khakis would be most appropriate.


I know of a firm that has an annual casual event on a yacht for SAs, but that doesn't mean that everyone should go out and buy boat shoes for their summer, any more than anyone should feel obligated to buy a blazer. Moreover, in light of modern trends on blazers (i.e., the demise of fancy buttons, the idea that a blazer should be fitted, and the unpopularity of the distinctive, durable, and rough wool weaves used for trad blazers—all things I'm pretty in favor of, to be clear), there's virtually no difference at all between a suit jacket and a blazer. If we're talking about the minimum necessary to survive a SA, all you need is a suit jacket.

RodneyRuxin wrote:This is true. The only reason I say black is most people have a dark navy suit; and almost any time you'd need a navy blazer you can just use the suit jacket (buttons may not be the same, but it seems silly to buy a nice blazer just for the buttons when OP is trying to stay w/in budget)


It's silly to buy a blazer at all if the OP is trying to stay within budget (least of all a black one; you get two canned responses on that one—"nice buttons, admiral" and "where's the funeral" :wink: ). If it turns out that he needs a blazer in the unlikely event that his firm has an annual country club event, he can cross that bridge when he comes to it (and could always buy like $3 worth of dull brass buttons from a fabric-by-the-pound warehouse and spend fifteen minutes swapping out his buttons if he felt he really needed to, and was truly a cheapskate).

-Pufer

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 am

Pufer wrote:It's silly to buy a blazer at all if the OP is trying to stay within budget (least of all a black one; you get two canned responses on that one—"nice buttons, admiral" and "where's the funeral" :wink: ). If it turns out that he needs a blazer in the unlikely event that his firm has an annual country club event, he can cross that bridge when he comes to it (and could always buy like $3 worth of dull brass buttons from a fabric-by-the-pound warehouse and spend fifteen minutes swapping out his buttons if he felt he really needed to, and was truly a cheapskate).

-Pufer


Budget aside, would you still recommend against a black blazer?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: minimum amount of dress clothes to survive 2L big law summer

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 am

What's with you and the black blazer? Let it go. Unless you already have one, then I guess you can wear it once in a while so that you don't feel like you wasted your money (but you should know that you did).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.