Boutique/Small Firms in TX still hiring for Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boutique/Small Firms in TX still hiring for Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Title says it all. I'm a 2L at Texas and I've been told by CSO that a lot of smaller shops are just now starting to plan their summer programs, including some of the fairly high end places. Anyone know how much truth there is to that?

I feel like Career Services can be a little off in left field sometimes (read: have no effing clue what they're talking about).

Anonymous User

Re: Boutique/Small Firms in TX still hiring for Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. I'm a 2L at Texas and I've been told by CSO that a lot of smaller shops are just now starting to plan their summer programs, including some of the fairly high end places. Anyone know how much truth there is to that?

I feel like Career Services can be a little off in left field sometimes (read: have no effing clue what they're talking about).

I had an interview with AZA a couple of months ago but never heard anything back. They seem to have a much more open-ended program than other firms so you might try there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. I'm a 2L at Texas and I've been told by CSO that a lot of smaller shops are just now starting to plan their summer programs, including some of the fairly high end places. Anyone know how much truth there is to that?

I had an interview with AZA a couple of months ago but never heard anything back. They seem to have a much more open-ended program than other firms so you might try there.

Mind sharing school and rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Mind sharing school and rank?

T6. They were interviewing 1Ls so I asked them if I could interview; they also invited me to a dinner. Not sure if it reflects the firm but they were genuinely unlikeable people. Could not stop talking about themselves.

To your main point, I think you CSO is talking out of its ass. The strong boutiques with summer programs know they can reel in the top students during OCI so they do that. Certainly, smaller firms will be hiring now but those seem to be for "Law Clerks," where they pay you by the hour and don't guarantee employment after graduation.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 am

Small and mid-sized firms do what they need to do when they need to do it. A small firm could decide in May that they want a summer associate and hire one on the spot. I would say that it is absoluely not too late to try to land a job of this sort.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 am

reasonable_man wrote:Small and mid-sized firms do what they need to do when they need to do it. A small firm could decide in May that they want a summer associate and hire one on the spot. I would say that it is absoluely not too late to try to land a job of this sort.

I think OP is hoping more for --LinkRemoved--, or http://www.azalaw.com/ than hourly work for midsize firms.

That said, I definitely agree that it's possible to get hourly work for midsize firms this late. Fire up the email coldcalling and get to work.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 am

patrickd139 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Small and mid-sized firms do what they need to do when they need to do it. A small firm could decide in May that they want a summer associate and hire one on the spot. I would say that it is absoluely not too late to try to land a job of this sort.

I think OP is hoping more for --LinkRemoved--, or http://www.azalaw.com/ than hourly work for midsize firms.

That said, I definitely agree that it's possible to get hourly work for midsize firms this late. Fire up the email coldcalling and get to work.

I picked up on that - but the reality is that if he has no job, he needs something with experieince no matter what and so he has to do exactly what you suggested - start email/coldcalling, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”