does passing patent bar help in securing a patent job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

does passing patent bar help in securing a patent job?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:27 pm

I have a B.S. in biology, so am qualified to take the patent bar under cat. A. I know that I can't get into patent prosecution without an advanced degree in bio, but should I still take the patent bar anyway? Will taking and passing the patent bar help me find a patent litigation job?

Agent

Re: does passing patent bar help in securing a patent job?

Postby Agent » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 pm

It's a nice credential, but I would like to know a bit about your current situation and opportunity costs before recommending that you take it. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about specifics.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm

In the past, it didn't matter, but in today's highly competitive economy, every bit helps. So if you want that extra boost, then take the patent bar.

Of course in the end it's all about opportunity cost, but I don't think the patent bar is that hard. If you don't pass it the first time, just take it again. No need to sweat it like you do with the state bars after graduation.

farmernate

Postby farmernate » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 am

3L going into big lawl patent lit, just took the patent bar. Multiple partners "suggested" that it'd be nice to have because I could sit for it. My feeling is that it's a nice marketing tool that makes it easier to sell you to the client for certain cases, and following AIA, there will be certain post-grant and inter partes review proceedings at the PTO which require patent bar admission.

TL;DR - It's a plus, but I got my SA and an offer before I even took the thing so it's definitely not a barrier to entry for patent lit.

Return to “Legal Employment”