Sending A Thank You Letter to Law Clerk: How to Mail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sending A Thank You Letter to Law Clerk: How to Mail

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am

I recently interviewed with a law clerk for a judicial internship. I am sending a thank you letter directly to him. Is this the appropriate envelope address/heading for the letter?

Attn: Law Clerk Name
Judge Name
Court Name
Building Name, Suite
Street
City, State Zip

Should I scrap the Judge's name entirely if the letter is going directly to the clerk? Thanks for the insight.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Sending A Thank You Letter to Law Clerk: How to Mail

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:44 am

You can scrap the judge's name and the Attn: bit - just use the law clerk's name and the courthouse address.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can scrap the judge's name and the Attn: bit - just use the law clerk's name and the courthouse address.

Current COA clerk here. If the judge has chambers in a courthouse with a number of other judges, I'm going to suggest the opposite. I'm pretty sure our mail guy sorts the mail by chambers, so having the judge's name on there is helpful. I would do something to the effect of:

Law Clerk Name
Chambers of the Honorable Judge Name
Court Name
Address 1 (or stick the suite number here, if you want to save space and not use an Address 2)
Address 2
City, State, ZIP

The building name isn't entirely necessary, so you can just put down the street address. At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter -- it'll all get there eventually.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58 am

Sure, that's not going to hurt. But I get mail addressed to just me, no judge's name, just fine; once you start work you're added to the mail directory and the postal people don't have any problem finding you.

But yeah, adding the chambers won't hurt. But do put "chambers of" as suggested, not just the judge's name, or they might think it's supposed to go to the judge (the judge will then just hand it to the clerk, really, so none of this is that big a deal, but still).

Return to “Legal Employment”