Interview Dilemma (2L summer)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview Dilemma (2L summer)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm

2L, top 20%, LR, published, school in 30-40 range. I struck out at oci, so I basically mass mailed.

I got an interview and offer with a large pi firm, and took it fearing I wouldnt get anything else. I've been working there part-time for a few weeks. Although I didn't sign formal agreement as to the time period, the understanding is that it will continue part-time through summer.

I was contacted by another firm today and they asked to interview me for a SA position. Its a mid size (30-40) litigation firm that does insurance work and is really well respected in the area.

So do I interview? If so and assuming they offer me a job, do I take it?

Some other facts: firm i started working for part-time isnt listed on resume as I just started, so firm 2 doesn't know im there at the moment, but im assuming they'd need to know if I took a job (assuming they offer) for the purposes of a conflict check. Also, the SA position could turn into full time offer, although I already have a clerkship secured.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Re: Interview Dilemma (2L summer)

Postby NYstate » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm

I think you need to do the interview. If you get the job offer explain to the part-time firm that you need a full time job. They should understand it if you approach it correctly. They won't be happy but they can't give you a fulltime job. Everyone needs money. This shouldn't be too hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead with the interview and go from there.

lolfranks51

Postby lolfranks51 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 pm

yea, you definitely need to go on the interview.

interview, see what happens, then worry about this. but full time > part time.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:07 am

ajax adonis wrote:Yeah, I agree. Any employer that gets mad at a "kid" for choosing full-time over part-time has forgotten what it's like to be a poor college or law student.

This. And, if they do get mad, you just saved yourself some real problems down the line. This sorta stuff happens more often than people think. Don't sweat it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:22 am

OP here

Do I need to put the job i've been at for 2 weeks on my resume? I worried if I do, they'll call the employer and ask about me. And at the same time, I know I'll need to say who my previous employers have been if I got the job at firm 2 so they can make sure no conflicts exist

So do I put it on now, and tell the interviewer its part-time/etc, or wait till I get the job and explain?

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

Do I need to put the job i've been at for 2 weeks on my resume? I worried if I do, they'll call the employer and ask about me. And at the same time, I know I'll need to say who my previous employers have been if I got the job at firm 2 so they can make sure no conflicts exist

So do I put it on now, and tell the interviewer its part-time/etc, or wait till I get the job and explain?

Those are probably questions for career services rather than an online forum. Those are etiquette questions that will have a lot to do with your location and the expectations of the local legal community.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
Those are probably questions for career services rather than an online forum. Those are etiquette questions that will have a lot to do with your location and the expectations of the local legal community.

I have a feeling the career services is going to say "why the hell did you accept an interview when you already have a job, you can't do that," I feel like they are more concerned about their own image than my future, which is ironic for a career services office

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am

You don't have to put that on your resume. In fact, you don't have to put anything that short-term on your resume.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

I have a feeling the career services is going to say "why the hell did you accept an interview when you already have a job, you can't do that," I feel like they are more concerned about their own image than my future, which is ironic for a career services office

Seriously. You never, EVER contact career services about a dilemma. It's in their best interest to screw you over to save themselves. Also, career services never, EVER cares about you getting a job that fits your interests or is right for you, they only care about getting you employed in a JD required job for their stats. If you hate what you do or aren't making as much as you could, that's not their problem.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm

OP here,

Yeh I'm not going to go to the career services office, I already know what they'll say.

One of my friends got an offer and accepted on the spot, but then said, can I actually have a few days. The career services office called him in and told him he had to call them right now and accept because it makes them look bad.

I will just do the interview and, if offered, let the current firm know I will be leaving at the end of may. The current firm can't guarantee any more than 3 days (and so i'd probably only work 2) during the summer so i don't think its like a huge deal, I'm just worried they will bad mouth me (not that I want to go into the area of law they do).

Return to “Legal Employment”