Chance of DOJ volunteer 1L summer from HLS in small USAO?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chance of DOJ volunteer 1L summer from HLS in small USAO?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:59 am

I'd like to go back home & volunteer at the local USAO, which is a small office with not a lot of openings for volunteers (3). There IS a large state college in town with a top 50 law program (bottom of the 50).What would my chances be? How competitive is this? Also, does anyone know if that would qualify for the summer public interest funding from HLS?

This is for 2014

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elston Gunn

Re: Chance of DOJ volunteer 1L summer from HLS in small USAO?

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to go back home & volunteer at the local USAO, which is a small office with not a lot of openings for volunteers (3). There IS a large state college in town with a top 50 law program (bottom of the 50).What would my chances be? How competitive is this? Also, does anyone know if that would qualify for the summer public interest funding from HLS?

This is for 2014

Probably what you'd have to do is try to get a connection or even just cold email someone who can have a say in hiring decisions and ask to chat. Places like this don't care that much who they're hiring, so it's pretty easy to get lost in the stack if you're just a resume and they're only hiring 3 people. Yes, I'm sure it qualifies for funding. Why do you care so much about doing this one specific job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to go back home & volunteer at the local USAO, which is a small office with not a lot of openings for volunteers (3). There IS a large state college in town with a top 50 law program (bottom of the 50).What would my chances be? How competitive is this? Also, does anyone know if that would qualify for the summer public interest funding from HLS?

This is for 2014

Probably what you'd have to do is try to get a connection or even just cold email someone who can have a say in hiring decisions and ask to chat. Places like this don't care that much who they're hiring, so it's pretty easy to get lost in the stack if you're just a resume and they're only hiring 3 people. Yes, I'm sure it qualifies for funding. Why do you care so much about doing this one specific job?

Family lives there... So I can still be active over the summer, but not have to worry about staying at HLS & paying rent or moving somewhere else and paying rent. Other than that, the city doesn't have too much to offer in terms of internships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I had very close connections with my local USAO but they simply didn't have room for a 1L intern.

Return to “Legal Employment”