Spend Entire 2L SA in One Practice Group, or Multiple Group?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Spend Entire 2L SA in One Practice Group, or Multiple Group?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm

I am wondering what the consensus is here. I am fairly confident I want to do corporate, so I would like to spend most of the summer with the corporate group.
But would it be better to get exposure to other groups to increase the number of groups that might give me an offer at the end of the summer?
The firm usually does not hire more summers than they anticipate giving full time offers to, so I don't think that is an issue. My concern is that if I spend the whole summer with corporate, and for some reason they are unable to add any new associates, I won't have any other group wanting to extend me an offer.
Firm is in Midwest with around 10 2L SAs, and fairly large corporate group.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Spend Entire 2L SA in One Practice Group, or Multiple Group?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Bump

Bigben32

Postby Bigben32 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 am

Interested in this as well. Anybody?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 am

I'd say definitely try to get assignments in a few different groups. You never know what you're going to end up enjoying. I started my 2L summer pretty sure I wanted to do one thing, but now I'm pretty sure I want to do another (and I want to keep exploring as much as I can when I return in the fall). Try not to cut off opportunities at this stage.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:34 am

It won't matter. At a vast majority of firms, they're likely going to give you the work they want to give you, and (if you're lucky) hire you full time to do the work they want to pay you to do.

Return to “Legal Employment”