Approaching an OCI recruiter at a school other than your own Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
texanwahoo

New

Approaching an OCI recruiter at a school other than your own

Post by texanwahoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 am

Hi all - I'm a 1L gearing up for OCI this summer, and I'm curious if anyone's ever encountered the following scenario. Without naming names, I go to a Texas law school but am interning this summer in a different Texas city. A boutique firm I'm *very* interested in is participating in OCI at a law school in the city I'll be in (and does not do OCI at my own campus since they have no local office here), and at a time when I'll still be in said city for my internship. Would it be too brazen to simply email and/or call their recruiter/hiring manager/OCI interviewer(s) and ask if I can buy them a drink while they're in town? Hell, I'll even spring for dinner! (Please note that I say this without yet having a f'ing clue how the OCI process works in general, at my own school or any other.)

KidStuddi

Bronze

Re: Approaching an OCI recruiter at a school other than your own

Post by KidStuddi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 am

You can just apply for a job like a normal person. Wait for your second semester grades and send application materials. Mention in your cover letter that you'll be in town. If you have the stats for that firm and they're interested in you, they'll tell you. Phone interviews aren't unheard of either, btw.

OutCold

Bronze

Re: Approaching an OCI recruiter at a school other than your own

Post by OutCold » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 am

texanwahoo wrote:Hi all - I'm a 1L gearing up for OCI this summer, and I'm curious if anyone's ever encountered the following scenario. Without naming names, I go to a Texas law school but am interning this summer in a different Texas city. A boutique firm I'm *very* interested in is participating in OCI at a law school in the city I'll be in (and does not do OCI at my own campus since they have no local office here), and at a time when I'll still be in said city for my internship. Would it be too brazen to simply email and/or call their recruiter/hiring manager/OCI interviewer(s) and ask if I can buy them a drink while they're in town? Hell, I'll even spring for dinner! (Please note that I say this without yet having a f'ing clue how the OCI process works in general, at my own school or any other.)
There's no harm in reaching out to the recruiting department, passing your application materials along, and letting them know you'll be in the area when they are there for that school's OCI. Leave out the part where you offer to buy them anything--it's a job interview, not a date.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”