Biglaw or Bust? What are the other options?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tuffyjohnson

Biglaw or Bust? What are the other options?

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 am

Is biglaw the only real option after law school? What I'm hearing from people is that to have any chance at government or in-house work you must first have a few years experience in biglaw. Is this true? What about local DA jobs? What about local PD jobs? What about rural communities and smaller markets? I'd like to practice but I cannot do biglaw with children. I like seeing them and going to their birthday parties. I'd like to hear what the full range of options for JD's foregoing biglaw. Please, for a moment also forgo the obvious issue of debt repayments so that I can at least see what's out there.

Gunnar Stahl

Re: Biglaw or Bust? What are the other options?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 am

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am

Ghost93 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 am

Ballpark figures:

45,000 law graduates, 5,000 entry level biglaw jobs and a smaller number of clerkships represent the pool of "obvious" jobs for graduates. Many other places - public interest outfits, a small number of corporations, small and medium sized firms, local and federal governments, etc. will hire recent law graduates, but (a) for substantially less salary on average and (b) with much less consistency. There are also much less desirable jobs such as temporary doc review available.

Recent estimates suggest there are only a total of maybe 25,000 to 30,000 entry level jobs for law graduates at all, so a substantial portion will fail to find legal employment.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 am

rad lulz wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

yo, bro, there is no delete button and someone already pointed this out. but, thanks.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 am

I hear Burger King is hiring.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am

I mean it really depends on what your background is... There's people who are in bank compliance departments who go for their JD part time, or even full time and end up going back for close to biglaw starting pay and much better hours (issue being that the pay doesn't go up as quickly). There's people who go into consulting etc. What are your salary demands? That really drives the search for what you'd find acceptable.

For me personally, it was either biglaw, MBB or probably something non-legal as none of the other traditional options would keep my family in a life style that we would find acceptable. You need to make the decision for yourself.

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 pm

kryptix wrote:I mean it really depends on what your background is... There's people who are in bank compliance departments who go for their JD part time, or even full time and end up going back for close to biglaw starting pay and much better hours (issue being that the pay doesn't go up as quickly). There's people who go into consulting etc. What are your salary demands? That really drives the search for what you'd find acceptable.

For me personally, it was either biglaw, MBB or probably something non-legal as none of the other traditional options would keep my family in a life style that we would find acceptable. You need to make the decision for yourself.

So Kryptix, how did you end up faring? Did you get big law, MBB or something financially lucrative but non-legal? Also, where do u go to school?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:Ballpark figures:

45,000 law graduates, 5,000 entry level biglaw jobs and a smaller number of clerkships represent the pool of "obvious" jobs for graduates. Many other places - public interest outfits, a small number of corporations, small and medium sized firms, local and federal governments, etc. will hire recent law graduates, but (a) for substantially less salary on average and (b) with much less consistency. There are also much less desirable jobs such as temporary doc review available.

Recent estimates suggest there are only a total of maybe 25,000 to 30,000 entry level jobs for law graduates at all, so a substantial portion will fail to find legal employment.

These kinds of numbers still baffle me. I am at a lower T14 and it seems like EVERY 2L had their pick of multiple biglaw jobs and every 3L is heading to a market paying firm. I guess its just that those people are more vocal about what they are doing

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I guess its just that those people are more vocal about what they are doing

exactly.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I guess its just that those people are more vocal about what they are doing

exactly.

Yep.

Even at schools with high percentages in biglaw, a lot of those people got exactly one offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”