Commuting to SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Commuting to SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm

I commuted about 45 min into NYC each day on the bus (a rush hour bus dropped off right next to my firm) so it was very convenient for morning commute. In the evening, that bus line stopped running at 6:30, so I would have to get to Port Authority to get home, which was a bit of a hassle, but SA's usually left around 6 anyway on most days. But the firm was totally fine with me calling the car service after late social events, or the few occasions where I worked late. So it was never an issue, and I got to save a few thousand dollars in rent.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm

How strict are the firms about start times anyway? I was under the impression that it was somewhat flexible ~9:30 starts...

I'm going to be stuck with a 1:30 subway commute anyway this summer since I'm not getting a new apartment for the family for just the summer... A bit worse than my normal 1:00 commute but if I've been doing it for years I figure its not going to be THAT bad...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm

OP

I'm convinced commuting is a horrible idea. How do I find a place between now and when I start? I'm going to school pretty far away from LA. Is 1.5 weeks between my last final and my start date enough time or should I get a friend to find a place for me?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP

I'm convinced commuting is a horrible idea. How do I find a place between now and when I start? I'm going to school pretty far away from LA. Is 1.5 weeks between my last final and my start date enough time or should I get a friend to find a place for me?

I'm doing an SA in LA and didn't really see much in the way of short-term sublets (regardless of timing) on Craigslist. Of course, I'm not "420-friendly," so that may have something to do with it. I ended up going through airbnb, which is more expensive when calculated by days, but if you only need a place for 2 1/2 months, it may make more sense.

I'd suggest at least looking right now at what's available / asking your friend to ask around. I'd personally get a little stressed out trying to find a short-term place and move within a week and a half. In NY it can totally be done, but it just seems there are fewer short-term options in LA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 pm

I commuted about 90 minutes each way to my SA job and ended up getting no-offered. The stated reason for my no-offer was that the firm was not in an economic position to bring on new associates that year. Possible unstated reasons include me being sloppy about recording my time, me getting excessively drunk with the file clerks at a firm event, and me once getting bored and absentmindedly running a Westlaw search for "clown penis." However, I also wonder if the fact that I left right at 5:00 every day to catch a train didn't hurt me a bit too, just be creating the perception of me as someone who ducks out every day as soon as humanly possible.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I commuted about 45 min into NYC each day on the bus (a rush hour bus dropped off right next to my firm) so it was very convenient for morning commute. In the evening, that bus line stopped running at 6:30, so I would have to get to Port Authority to get home, which was a bit of a hassle, but SA's usually left around 6 anyway on most days. But the firm was totally fine with me calling the car service after late social events, or the few occasions where I worked late. So it was never an issue, and I got to save a few thousand dollars in rent.

45 minutes on public transit is a pretty reasonable NYC commute. 2 hours in a car, on the other hand, completely sucks.

OP, smart to suck it up and spend a few grand for the summer, you don't want this to be stressing you out when you need to make a good impression.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I commuted about 90 minutes each way to my SA job and ended up getting no-offered. The stated reason for my no-offer was that the firm was not in an economic position to bring on new associates that year. Possible unstated reasons include me being sloppy about recording my time, me getting excessively drunk with the file clerks at a firm event, and me once getting bored and absentmindedly running a Westlaw search for "clown penis." However, I also wonder if the fact that I left right at 5:00 every day to catch a train didn't hurt me a bit too, just be creating the perception of me as someone who ducks out every day as soon as humanly possible.

...Lex?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 am

I was a SA last year at a firm in OC and we had a guy commute from LA. It was bad.

First, anytime people offered to go out after work (or do after-party after an event), he had to decline because he had such a long commute. It made him seem weird and not part of the group, especially that he wouldn't drink during an event or was always the first to leave. He also got negative looks/comments behind his back, along the lines of "why would he be so dumb to do this?" He also arrived super early some mornings (like 6 a.m.) to beat traffic, which made him look weird/super-gunner instead of a hard worker.

My advice is to just not risk it. Sublet in LA, spend like $2500 total for rent for the summer. It will be more enjoyable, you can take home a one-night-stand easier, you won't risk being late.

Return to “Legal Employment”