Quinn Mixer Dress code

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BelugaWhale

Quinn Mixer Dress code

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Quinn coming to campus to do a mixer, they say its basically an OCI substitute so i guess kinda important. They say the dress code is "casual".

I know Quinn is a casual place but how casual do I go? Like Business casual, or jeans casual?

thelawyler

Re: Quinn Mixer Dress code

Postby thelawyler » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Aviators and flip flops.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 pm

thelawyler wrote:Aviators and flip flops.

there is no sun where i go to school

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
thelawyler wrote:Aviators and flip flops.

there is no sun where i go to school

This won't matter to the Quinn attys. Oh, and board shorts are in right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:55 pm

doesn't really matter. I'd recommend something like a sweater or blazer with jeans.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:05 pm

If you are a guy, dark jeans & button down. Basically wear what you'd wear on a first date.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Emma. wrote:If you are a guy, dark jeans & button down. Basically wear what you'd wear on a first date.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009 ... eans-dress

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Emma. wrote:If you are a guy, dark jeans & button down. Basically wear what you'd wear on a first date.

Exactly. Perfect for Quinn.

You should still wear jeans though, so long as you have nicer ones (dark, slim). Otherwise, I guess khakis.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 pm

There's a Covington mixer the same night...do you think anyone will be actively put off if I show up in a suit, but just having taken the tie off? (I believe that all they're really going to do is take attendance and eat free food, but you never know.)

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 pm

There's a Covington mixer the same night...do you think anyone will be actively put off if I show up in a suit, but just having taken the tie off? (I believe that all they're really going to do is take attendance and eat free food, but you never know.)

They are probably aware that other firms are doing mixers the same night, so I would assume you're safe with no tie no jacket. For what it's worth, there are stories of people going to their QE callbacks in full suits and getting offers.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:There's a Covington mixer the same night...do you think anyone will be actively put off if I show up in a suit, but just having taken the tie off? (I believe that all they're really going to do is take attendance and eat free food, but you never know.)

You'll be fine, but maybe ditch the jacket too. Also, don't expect this to be just attendance. From what I've heard Quinn are semi-serious about this replacing OCI so I'm pretty sure there will be some evaluation going on.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Emma. wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:There's a Covington mixer the same night...do you think anyone will be actively put off if I show up in a suit, but just having taken the tie off? (I believe that all they're really going to do is take attendance and eat free food, but you never know.)

You'll be fine, but maybe ditch the jacket too. Also, don't expect this to be just attendance. From what I've heard Quinn are semi-serious about this replacing OCI so I'm pretty sure there will be some evaluation going on.

I mean, I will put on my best interview personality, but my cynical interpretation is that they're replacing OCI because they're one of the grade snobbier firms around and don't actually care much about screening interviews, and this is a nice way to not waste their time while pretending they are looking for a more genuine idea of personalities, etc.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:42 pm

There were some associates making fun of attendees who were "too" dressed up. So get rid of as much fanciness as possible.

And they had us give "business cards" they made us to people, and that's how they decided to give CBs. I just ate food the whole time. 100% worth it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Even this isn't required. They sincerely do not care.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Xifeng wrote:There were some associates making fun of attendees who were "too" dressed up. So get rid of as much fanciness as possible.

And they had us give "business cards" they made us to people, and that's how they decided to give CBs. I just ate food the whole time. 100% worth it.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here and so if you could clarify that would be great

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:19 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
Xifeng wrote:There were some associates making fun of attendees who were "too" dressed up. So get rid of as much fanciness as possible.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here and so if you could clarify that would be great

So when you "checked in" they gave you some number of business cards and then said if you "hit it off" with a lawyer or whatever to give one to them (or exchange real business cards? I didn't pay attention). And so when everyone was swarming the lawyers you were supposed to elbow the neckbeards away and exchange them.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Xifeng wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

So when you "checked in" they gave you some number of business cards and then said if you "hit it off" with a lawyer or whatever to give one to them (or exchange real business cards? I didn't pay attention). And so when everyone was swarming the lawyers you were supposed to elbow the neckbeards away and exchange them.

So its a competition to see who can hand out these cards to the most Quinn lawyers?

Borg

Postby Borg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

I'm glad to see you take fashion advice from George F. Will. I often wondered where the hell law students are learning to dress, now I know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Emma. wrote:

Nah, I'm pretty sure they just give CBs based on grades. Only one of the lawyers I talked to was from the NYC office and that's where I ended up interviewing. I saw the guy talk to like 40 law students that night, so I'm pretty skeptical that there was any sort of rigorous evaluation going on.

Also, seriously dress in whatever. I was in jeans and a t-shirt and was pretty out of place compared to most law students, who are aspie tools that wore suits, but there were no strange looks and they still called me back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm

MinEMorris wrote:

They are probably aware that other firms are doing mixers the same night, so I would assume you're safe with no tie no jacket. For what it's worth, there are stories of people going to their QE callbacks in full suits and getting offers.

I did my QE callback in a full suit and got an offer, and I was told that the majority of people come in a full suit, because even though it is Quinn, it is still a job interview. I was told that some attorneys at Quinn looked negatively upon people dressing too casual at the callback.

But really, I doubt this matters much at all. Just dress casual, either business casual, or what people were saying about dark jeans and a button down long sleeve shirt. If you're wearing a suit just take off the tie if you want, but I don't think anyone is going to look down at you for wearing a suit (except perhaps other students).

Return to “Legal Employment”