Switching practice areas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching practice areas

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:44 am

Hi 3L here. Just got my practice group placements this weekend via email at a V50 NYC firm. I really wanted to do Corporate, but they put me in Finance/Banking, so I'm a little disappointed. The reason why I wanted to do Corporate in the first place is because my dream is to one day work in-house at a tech-company (I'm super interested in tech and I follow VC/startup news pretty closely), and I know that to get there I'll probably have to somehow lateral to a firm in SV or SF like Cooley or Wilson Sonsini to get the necessary experience. I thought that doing M&A work would make the lateraling part easier, but since I'm not doing that anymore, I've been thinking about my long-term plans.

Now that I'll be working in a completely unrelated practice group, should I just try to contact these firms as soon as possible and see if I can lateral over as a 1st year? Or should I try to lateral within the NY market first to another firm that has an opening in Corporate? (is there even demand for that right now?) I know that in general you shouldn't try to lateral anywhere until you've had at least two years under your belt, but I really don't want to do Finance because it's so unrelated to what I REALLY want to do and I'm worried about being pegged as a Finance lawyer forever. Any advice on what I can do to get from where I am now to where I want to be? Thanks in advance!

Return to “Legal Employment”